“A Fine Dining Experience”
Review of RL

RL
Reserve with OpenTable
RL is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 9,717 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Michigan Avenue
Transit: CTA Red Line Rapid Transit
Description: A warm, rich interior featuring Mahogany paneling & Persian rugs, RL Restaurant houses an art collection that reflects & represents a lifestyle vision of quality, integrity & timelessness - the design & cultural aesthetic of Polo Ralph Lauren. The menu is written daily with core items, some prepared tableside, which reflect the Ralph Lauren "aspirational lifestyle." The food is not based on how exotic the chef can appear with his creativity, but on how finely tuned & balanced are his compositions -- renditions of ideas that have a history on the American Table. ****Please note that reservations are for dining room only. Bar and Patio are first come first serve.******
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I met friends for dinner in RL on a Friday night. The experience was impressive. The place is on Chicago Avenue just west of Michigan Avenue -- the Magnificent Mile -- so you can imagine how crowded the area was at the start of a weekend. Fortunately, there was valet parking. Starting with the valet, everyone -- the maitres 'd, our waiters, the bus -- greeted us with warm smiles as though we were frequent diners there but this was only our second visit. The dining area itself was upscale with interesting pictures on the walls. We could converse in moderate voices though every table was occupied. The other diners impressed me too: diverse Gen X and Gen Y, well-dressed and well-mannered. Items on the menu appear to have been selected to please Chicagoan appetites: no unique combinations and every item explained. For starters my wife had Lobster bisque and I had New England clam chowder, somewhat different from other versions of this soup and interestingly, it harbored a clam in a shell. At the recommendation of our host we ordered lake perch as our entrees. The perch were prepared in Japanese panko the way we like them. Plentiful and wonderful. Though our host recommended the key lime pie for dessert, I chose the crepes suzette which were so good I shared some with my wife. As we left my wife commented we'd been dining for two-and-a-half hours but that's the kind of place RL is. There's also outdoor dining -- every table was filled there too -- and I wondered why anyone would want to dine on a Chicago Avenue sidewalk with all the cars, busses and trucks and commotion but she reminded me that's the way Parisians dine too.

1  Thank federico48
There are newer reviews for RL

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I took my two teenage daughters to RL for lunch while back to school shopping. This has become a yearly tradition for us and we all enjoy this restaurant very much. On this trip, one of my daughters and I had the chicken club sandwich which is very moist and tasty with an egg included along with the chicken and bacon. My other daughter had the sea scallops and loved them. The girls started with lobster bisque and I had the special asparagus and leek soup which were excellent. No room for dessert. Service was very friendly and efficient.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

When I find a good thing I stick w it. This is one of our favorite places to eat lunch when shopping the mag mile. I got the salmom med rare and it was good as always. My wife had a club. Once in a whole I veer from my norm and get the burger which is one of the best I have ever had. I always get a dry Hendricks martini which is always full and one of the biggest I have ever laid eyes on. Two of these beasts sets the tone foe the day and removes all the pain from the ensuing botique shopping. My wife had the Simi chardoney. We always get the full faced latino waiter w glasses. He is a very knowlegable and excellent server. And fortunately has a steady hand so as to avoid Hendricks spillage.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Casual place, very tasty food, excellent service, moderately priced: we enjoyed it so much that we made it our daily cantine.
It had a feeling of outdated tradition, more of a european touch.
Highly recommendable!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

As visitors to Chicago, we were so excited about eating here. We were seated reasonably promptly outside (our request) albeit at the very worst outdoor table (we really were nicely dressed!). We had trouble getting waited on. The spinach salad was just OK. Our entrees arrived within minutes of getting our salad - we weren't even half finished. The pork chop was completely riddled with fat, and inedible. It was sent back and my friend chose not to get any more food. My salmon, ordered "medium" at the recommendation of the waiter, had an awful mushy texture - sort of like a big blob of sushi. Our worst meal in Chicago, hands down.

1  Thank NMTaosena

Been to RL? Share your experiences!