“RL is Just Like the Clothes - Delicious!”
Review of RL

RL
Reserve with OpenTable
RL is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 9,883 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Michigan Avenue
Transit: CTA Red Line Rapid Transit
Description: A warm, rich interior featuring Mahogany paneling & Persian rugs, RL Restaurant houses an art collection that reflects & represents a lifestyle vision of quality, integrity & timelessness - the design & cultural aesthetic of Polo Ralph Lauren. The menu is written daily with core items, some prepared tableside, which reflect the Ralph Lauren "aspirational lifestyle." The food is not based on how exotic the chef can appear with his creativity, but on how finely tuned & balanced are his compositions -- renditions of ideas that have a history on the American Table. ****Please note that reservations are for dining room only. Bar and Patio are first come first serve.******
Reviewed January 3, 2013

OK, I have dined all over the world, from Dahab on the Red Sea to Cozumel, Mexico and nothing, but nothing tops RL in Chicago!

I had reservations for two friends and me for Saturday the 22nd. of December of this year. At the last minute my "friends" backed out and I was faced with cancelling the reservation or adjusting it to dining alone. I was hungry, so I decided to dine alone. I was so glad I did. Anything to do with Ralph Lauren exudes class, grace, and elegance and this is also so very true of his restaurant "RL" in Chicago.

The room has a rich defined elegance but yet understated. The walls are painted black and covered with amazing pictures and photographs of people and places from a time long ago, which so much of Lauren's style emulates. The tables are close together in the center of the room, but not too close, and surrounding the perimeter of the room are lusciously comfortable booths for larger groups parties of diners.

The room was minimally decorated for the holidays, but just enough to capture the warmth of the holidays. The front bar area reminded me of many a British pub that I have had the opportunity to down a few pints of ale. The cozy fire place at the end of the bar area was ablaze and warming the hearts and bodies of the patrons on a very cold and windy winter Chicago afternoon.

The menu was varied and the prices (for lunch) were very reasonable. I had the Reuben with chips and a few beers. It was the best Reuben I have ever eaten. The wait staff was friendly. Even though the place was quite busy, the wait staff took their time with the the customers making sure that all their dining choices and preferences were met. Everyone including the staff really seemed to be at ease and enjoying themselves. This sense of ease did not compromise the service at all. My order came to my table in perfect time and I was not made to feel rushed or in the way even though the place was packed and people were waiting to dine. I felt very comfortable and I have to say it was the nicest dining experience I have ever had!

If you are ever in Chicago, make RL a priority for lunch and or dinner!

Oh, and this may sound strange, but check out the bathrooms. You need to take an elevator down one floor to get to them, and as everything else to do with Ralph Lauren his elevator and his bathroom in his restaurant are first class all the way!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is the place to see and be seen by the creme de la creme of Chicago nabobs...and in addition have a great meal impeccably prepared and served. We had tried to secure a lunch reservation for any one of the six days we'd be in Chicago and nothing was available before 3pm! We decided to take a chance and show up as walk-ins and much to our pleasant surprise were seated right away at a choice spot on one of the banquettes where we could watch all the action and enjoy the scene. The room is plush and feels like a nineteenth-century men's club but it's not stuffy or unwelcoming; quite the contrary. Everyone welcomes you with a smile and with the assumption that you are a long-time fried and belong there. It's a not to be missed Chicago spot.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was our first visit to RL and we were thoroughly impressed. The food was fantastic. I had the beef short rib, it was cooked to perfection. The service was professional but not stuffy. The decor is warm and inviting.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I hadn't eaten here before, my wife had. It was very good food and kid friendly, my kid's had cheeseburgers that were great.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is one of our favorite Chicago restaurants. It is centrally located downtown just of Michigan Avenue on the Magnificent Mile. The menu is upscale basic, perfectly prepared. Excellent comfort food is the speciality. I believe that the same menu is employed for both lunch and dinner but perhaps there are minor exceptions.

To begin, the space is uniquely attractive. Well, it is Ralph Lauren's! The cocktails are always excellent. The wine selections are well chosen and fairly priced. The bread basket includes a variety of superb breadstuffs. The menu has a wide selection of soup, appetizers and entrees, all well prepared. Included is one of the best hamburgers in town to or enjoy more elaborate meats or fish dishes. You can easily combine a couple of the modestly priced items, like their great lobster bisque, and one of the many delicious small plates, for a true value meal.

They always seem to have wonderful oysters on the half shell.

Service is professional and friendly.

1  Thank joesChicago

Been to RL? Share your experiences!