“very disappointing”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Oak
Description: Spiaggia sets the standard for creative Italian cuisine, earning four-star reviews, international praise and numerous awards, including a 2014 nomination for Outstanding Restaurant from the James Beard Foundation. A favorite among critics and patrons alike, the timeless Michelin-star Spiaggia features panoramic views of Lake Michigan and Chicago's iconic Michigan Avenue. Helmed by James Beard Award winner Chef/Partner Tony Mantuano, the restaurant offers guests an unrivaled experience with seven and fourteen course tasting menus that honor the heritage of Italian cuisine. An a la carte menu is also available. Spiaggia's award-winning wine list led by Sommelier and Beverage Director Rachael Lowe, impeccable service, spectacular view, and sophisticated, contemporary setting contribute to Spiaggia's universal regard as a premier, authentic Italian dining destination. Each visit to Spiaggia is an occasion, marking a milestone or simply celebrating the everyday. We invite guests to enjoy cocktails and stuzzi before or after dinner in the Spiaggia lounge.
Reviewed June 14, 2007

we had such high hopes but were incredibly disappointed!!
we had dinner at cafe spiaggia on june 9 for my husband's birthday we were seated at table and had to wait for about 10 minutes before i flagged down a waiter to place a cocktail order i ordered an appetitizer to start followed by a tomato soup and then a veal entree the appetitizer and soup came at the same time for a restaurant of this quality they should know better my veal was raw and ice cold in the middle had to send it back 2 other members of my party also received cold dinners we were so frustrated by the service that we did not even stay for coffee and dessert

1  Thank cheekyrn
There are newer reviews for Spiaggia Restaurant

Reviewed May 15, 2007

We dined at the Cafe for dinner one evening while in Chicago for the INTA conference. We ate at may wonderful restaurants but this, by far ,was my favourite.

The Cafe has large and well prepared cocktails and a good choice of wines by the glass. We, like some other posters, had all courses split. The boar ragu gnocchi was exceptional but so was everything we ate, including a tiramisu.

We particuarly enjoyed the dessert wines recommended by our extremely knowledgable waiter. Service was fantatstic - informed and helpful but unpretentious and gracious.

The setting is very pleasant and urban. We sat beside a window that faced Michigan Ave. and loved the ambience.

The price point is very good.

Cafe Spiaggia is a real gem and despite my rule never to repeat restaurants and to try new places on vacation, I don't think I can resist returning.

Bon Appetito!

Reviewed May 6, 2007

I wanted to express how disappointed I was at the restaurant, Spiaggia. My story could apply to any situation as it's an example of how a very nice restaurant was just "too good" to take care of their customer. I am a vegetarian and based on the calibre of your restaurant, we were told the chef would take care of us. My first entree that was brought was a lovely piece of cauliflower surrounded by about 10 beans. Our friend that had recommended complained and the
chef then sent a pasta with some julienned vegetables on the top. It was much better than the cauliflower. However, when the bill came, it was $45 which was more expensive than any pasta dish on your menu or the wood roasted guinea hen that my husband had ordered. The lack of customer service and anger we received for asking for some sort of settlement was deplorable. Unfortunately, our only ability to satisfy our dissatisfaction was to pay the bill and not include a tip. I wrote an apology for the server because he was shafted due to the restaurant's lack of customer serve.

2  Thank DebbieWDallas
Reviewed May 3, 2007

We had lunch at Cafe Spiaggia after a busy morning of shopping on Michigan Ave. Great food, wonderful service and a nice view. It's on the second floor and not especially easy to find. The cafe is open for lunch, the main dinning room is only open in the evenings, but confusingly, the sign says that they are open every day for lunch and the door is left open. (I think becasue that's where the restrooms are located.) Kind of an extravagance, but fun.

Reviewed April 27, 2007

My sister and I dined at Spiaggia and it very well may have been the best meal we have ever experienced.
The service we had was unsurpassed and extra touches, (ie: complimentary truffles/cookies and dessert wine at the end of the meal) were greatly appreciated. They made all of their guests feel like VIPs and we also enjoyed the terrific view of the City. I read about others complaining about the portion size, however I found it to be innovative. Everything was so incredible and we left with our bellies full.