“very positive experience”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Oak
Description: Spiaggia sets the standard for creative Italian cuisine, earning four-star reviews, international praise and numerous awards, including a 2014 nomination for Outstanding Restaurant from the James Beard Foundation. A favorite among critics and patrons alike, the timeless Michelin-star Spiaggia features panoramic views of Lake Michigan and Chicago's iconic Michigan Avenue. Helmed by James Beard Award winner Chef/Partner Tony Mantuano, the restaurant offers guests an unrivaled experience with seven and fourteen course tasting menus that honor the heritage of Italian cuisine. An a la carte menu is also available. Spiaggia's award-winning wine list led by Sommelier and Beverage Director Rachael Lowe, impeccable service, spectacular view, and sophisticated, contemporary setting contribute to Spiaggia's universal regard as a premier, authentic Italian dining destination. Each visit to Spiaggia is an occasion, marking a milestone or simply celebrating the everyday. We invite guests to enjoy cocktails and stuzzi before or after dinner in the Spiaggia lounge.
Reviewed December 4, 2005

The food is superb, the service was perfect, and the ambiance is impeccable. It is not cheap, but it's also not the most expensive restaurant I've ever eaten in, either. I've been lucky enough to dine in many of the best restaurants in this country, and Spiaggia is right up there amongst them. It's not something you do every day, but for a special occasion, this is ideal.

Not sure what anybody would find wrong with this place. I think the negative reviewers are just more used to eating at Denny's. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

2  Thank pennsyguy

Reviewed May 18, 2005

I chose Spiaggia because of the chef's reputation, and I guess we paid for that hype. The food was excellent, but I agree with the earlier reviewer that $25 for one cheese ravioli (raviolo?) was absurd. The waiter wasn't particularly knowlegeable about the food. The sorbets were among the best I've ever had. Next time I go to Chicago, though, I will look for less pretentious restaurants with American-size portions.

4  Thank JoyD
Reviewed December 25, 2004

My wife and I dined at Spiaggia last week after attending the CSO so they do have late seatings. Clearly in the same class as the Everest Room, this restaurant did not disappoint. The service was extraordinary. Much attention to detail in quality and presentation. A world class staff. Very romantic. Most tables have a beautiful city view (across from the Drake). Expensive but highly recommended.

4  Thank Stevethetraveler14
A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 12, 2004

Great food, reasonable prices, snappy decor --- I come to this place whenever I'm in Chicago and I've never been disappointed.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
USA
Reviewed September 7, 2004

Extremely overpriced and overrated supposed 'best' Italian restaurant as named by many review publications. Portions were microscopic. I know here in the States we're used to monstrous portions and "all-you-can-eat" buffets but $25 for two spoonfuls of risotto is riduculous. Our server claimed that the portions were "European-sized" and that everything about the restaurant was "European and authentically Italian". Well, I'd like to ask any of our European friends out there if they've ever dined at a restaurant where they served a large pat of butter with the bread. Very disappointing.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member