“In for a treat”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Oak
Description: Spiaggia sets the standard for creative Italian cuisine, earning four-star reviews, international praise and numerous awards, including a 2014 nomination for Outstanding Restaurant from the James Beard Foundation. A favorite among critics and patrons alike, the timeless Michelin-star Spiaggia features panoramic views of Lake Michigan and Chicago's iconic Michigan Avenue. Helmed by James Beard Award winner Chef/Partner Tony Mantuano, the restaurant offers guests an unrivaled experience with seven and fourteen course tasting menus that honor the heritage of Italian cuisine. An a la carte menu is also available. Spiaggia's award-winning wine list led by Sommelier and Beverage Director Rachael Lowe, impeccable service, spectacular view, and sophisticated, contemporary setting contribute to Spiaggia's universal regard as a premier, authentic Italian dining destination. Each visit to Spiaggia is an occasion, marking a milestone or simply celebrating the everyday. We invite guests to enjoy cocktails and stuzzi before or after dinner in the Spiaggia lounge.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Spiaggia is one of those restaurants that just make you want to tell others about it. Clearly you can see from other reviews that Spiaggia is very, very expensive. And, as I heard from others, there's a new chef who breathed new life into the menu to which I can attest. Okay, now that that's out of the way, onto the goodness.

The service at Spiaggia is impeccable. These folks know how to cater and they do it well. This is the type of restaurant you'd want to dine at for special occasions, important business dinners, an impressive romantic outing or as your one fine-dining experience as a tourist in Chicago.

The food tastes as beautiful as it looks. The menu is well rounded and is designed so you can enjoy 4-5 courses throughout your stay but the portions are not large. Combined they leave you full and satisfied. Additionally, since this is a fine establishment there is no rushing of the courses. You are able to sit and take in your meal slowly...as good food is meant to be enjoyed.

Spiaggia's decor is beautiful. The ceilings are high but it still feels warm. There's lots of glass and tables are not on top of each other, so you can be in your own private world. And, much as things are in Europe, conversational tones are kept low, which again helps you enjoy your time.

Finally, the wine list. There are so many wonderful things to say about the wine list. I dined at Spiaggia with work colleagues who had extensive knowledge of wines. So, we shared some very expensive bottles. That said, my picky and knowledgeable colleagues were quite impressed with the list and I got the fruits of their choices! Overall, two very big thumbs up for Spiaggia.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My friend and I were happy to make Spiaggia's casual cousin our Saturday night splurge. The new space is lovely, though hardly casual (perhaps compared to the nearby "jackets encouraged" Spiaggia). We were seated by a window with a great people-watching view of Michigan Ave, but it was the last table in the row and close to a bustling service station <sigh>. We started with Fritto Misto, which had a wonderful mix of lightly fried veggies and squid with a delicious aioli for dipping. As we weren't famished we ordered a Caprese salad to share and both chose a pasta as entree. I was surprised that the server didn't caution us about sharing the Caprese. Though all the ingredients were fabulously fresh, the serving was very small – no more than five cherry tomatoes cut in half with a few thumbnail-size shreds of mozzarella and a scattering of basil. It amounted to two bites apiece. While I certainly didn't expect a huge salad course, the $9 price point led me to believe it would be a more substantial serving. My friend declared his gnocchi the best he'd ever had. My bucatini with strips of guanciale was also excellent. The portions here were perfect, just what we expected, no more no less. Nice selection of wines by the glass. Overall a good night out, though I wish our server had been more engaged.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had dined at Spiaggia on several occasions before its recent renovation--it's a great place to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries and other special events--so, even though it's the priciest five-star restaurant this side of the Inn at Little Washington (our favorite dining spot in all the world), we wanted to sample the new surroundings. Hey, try it. You'll love it. The new bar and lounge makes for a much more fashionable and glitzy entrance. For whatever reason, the staff is more friendly and attentive. Even executive chef Chris Marchino comes out of the kitchen to see if the veal chop was flamed just right. We never saw him in the pre-revamp era. It appears the bar has been raised a bit higher. Spiaggia has a way of taking Italian cuisine to a new level. It is one of five or six five-star restaurants in Chicago and it appears they might want to add a sixth star. The food, staff, environment and atmosphere has a whole different feeling to it. Start with the diver scallop with foie gras or the raw diced venison and smoked trout roe. The Italian bread with olive oil is outstanding. As a prelude to the entrees, try the spaghetti or ricotta or foie gras or lake perch or veal cheek. Then choose turbot, salmon, veal chop, guinea hen or strip loin. Adhering to my "more fish, less meat" diet post-heart attack in 2003, I can't pass up the salmon, which is delicious and comes with a taste I've never experienced in salmon before. My wife opted for the veal chop. Anything with the name veal attached to it makes a favorable impression on her. I'm told the wine list is world-class but we aren't wine drinkers. Dessert? We didn't have room for the pastries so we settled for something lighter, the sorbets and gelato. This isn't the kind of place you make reservations for every weekend or even once a month. But it has to be on your bucket list at least once (anniversary) or twice (birthdays) a year.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

The pappardelle pasta was thin and cooked well, but the meat sauce was nothing out of the ordinary and not as good as it has been in the past. The tiramisu was not spectacular. Perhaps the lunch standards are lower than the dinner standards. The service was excellent. The cheese crisp was delicious. However, not sure we will go back on our next trip. A tip for other diners: the two prices next to some of the dishes are not lunch/dinner prices, but are small/large portion prices. You are not asked your preference, but are given the large portion.

1  Thank Joell E
Reviewed July 16, 2014

It's no secret that Spiaggia is, and has been, a cornerstone of culinary movement and innovation here in the States and beyond but with their recent renovation, revamp and reopening I felt compelled to log on and write a quick review. The new space is just sublime. With a new bar and lounge added it pulls you in an inviting, exciting way. The ambiance remains elegant but feels more energetic and current. As 30-somethings, my boyfriend and I felt that we were not only eating some of the best food but we felt like we were doing it in a fun and hip space. Additionally, I felt so welcome and comfortable as the manager, Alex, went our of her way to tend to our needs. The executive chef even came out to check in on us! The whole staff is first-rate. We'd been there previously and didn't know we could be wow-ed more than we originally were but they somehow raised the bar even higher. Cheers to Spiaggia! Please continue to set the standard and we so look forward to our next visit.