“Super Duper... Average”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Oak
Description: Spiaggia sets the standard for creative Italian cuisine, earning four-star reviews, international praise and numerous awards, including a 2014 nomination for Outstanding Restaurant from the James Beard Foundation. A favorite among critics and patrons alike, the timeless Michelin-star Spiaggia features panoramic views of Lake Michigan and Chicago's iconic Michigan Avenue. Helmed by James Beard Award winner Chef/Partner Tony Mantuano, the restaurant offers guests an unrivaled experience with seven and fourteen course tasting menus that honor the heritage of Italian cuisine. An a la carte menu is also available. Spiaggia's award-winning wine list led by Sommelier and Beverage Director Rachael Lowe, impeccable service, spectacular view, and sophisticated, contemporary setting contribute to Spiaggia's universal regard as a premier, authentic Italian dining destination. Each visit to Spiaggia is an occasion, marking a milestone or simply celebrating the everyday. We invite guests to enjoy cocktails and stuzzi before or after dinner in the Spiaggia lounge.
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We celebrated our anniversary here, along with the fact that we're welcoming our first child in a few weeks. The hotel concierge recommended it. We noted on the reservation that we were celebrating and they still gave us a table in the bar, even though I made the reservation a week ago. The wine was super overpriced, the appetizer was ok (potato chips with truffle oil, popcorn with ricotta salata and olives) and our pasta dishes (squash filled with brown butter and gnocchi with boar) were decent, but certainly nothing to brag about. We ordered the gelato trio for dessert and seriously - it tasted like grocery store brand ice cream. I will add that the service was excellent, so that helped. I take food very seriously and was expecting so much more, especially when we were celebrating a special occasion. I would definitely not recommend Cafe Spiaggia. I'm sure the regular Spiaggia restaurant is better, so maybe we;ll give that a shot next time.

There are newer reviews for Spiaggia Restaurant

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was a very expensive place, don't get me wrong. But the atmosphere, the service, and the food itself made it worth it. A great place to go for a special occasion. Amazing wine list as well. There was a preset menu option, but I went with a three course choice instead. Everything was presented beautifully, and I was so happy with everything. Not something I could do all of the time, but really enjoyed this.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I took a customer to this restaurant on a recommendation. All 4 of us were shocked at the prices. If I had been by myself or with my wife we would have left. We all made the best of it but it was far from from what I expected. The best way I can describe it was very little value for not very much. Ambience...so so, service excellent...Food...very little...PRICES OUTRAGEOUS!

There are much better choices in Chicago

2  Thank Stratton3
Reviewed October 11, 2012

A $74 veal chop? I dine in NYC as I live nearby and am used to high prices
For good/great food. These prices were outrageous and the food was at best mediocre.
Tried to order a salad-"we don't have salads" (????). Almost got up and left but
Since it was a business dinner I didn't want to be rude but would never recommend
This restaurant to anyone.

2  Thank maddie924
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Ok, we were a bit late (20 mins) for our reservation but we called and the room was not crowded. Food was terrific but the service was inexcusable for the price-- we were basically abandoned over long periods. Will probably not be back.

1  Thank EllenK2011