“Lots of character with great food!”
Review of La Scarola

La Scarola
Ranked #103 of 9,525 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: West Loop
Toledo, Ohio
“Lots of character with great food!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This was a wonderful restaurant with the quintessential Italian atmosphere. The bread, fried zucchini appetizer, risotto with goat cheese, Penne alla Vodka and Vitello di Franco were amazing! Our waiter, Jack, was fun to interact with. We got there via the bus from the Loop - easy and quick. It will be our first pick next time we visit Chicago!

• Visited June 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing Italian Restaurant - Reminded Me of Home!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This was hands down some of the best Italian food I've ever had (and my Grandfather is Italian). I got the eggplant parm, and my friends got the chicken parm. We all loved it, and tried our best to finish (but the portions were very large). The restaurant has such a homey, comfortable atmosphere - I actually felt like I was at my grandparents, eating a meal with the family. Pictures cover the walls, including a gorgeous one of Bette Davis. Not important, but a factor which I enjoyed. :)

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kristalein
Frisco, Texas
“Wonderful food and atmosphere”
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

My friend insisted that we eat here after hearing it is the best Italian in Chicago, and it was simply amazing! The authentic lasagna is to die for. We also had grilled chicken in a lemon butter sauce with with fresh spinach that was mouth watering.

The restaurant has a cozy neighborhood atmosphere with many guests who were regulars and greeted by the owner. Service was personable and attentive. A nice touch was when the owner walked us out after dinner and hailed a taxi for us.

Will definitely visit again when in Chicago!

1 Thank Mom2bjb
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Expected More”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

My wife was very disappointed as, given it's ratings, we expected a lot more. For anyone staying near the Miracle Mile, the restaurant is somewhat out of the way. It's more like a large neighborhood bistro than a fine dining restaurant. It felt like we were eating in a restaurant that was still back in the 50's. It could use some updating. We both ordered the same pasta recommended by the waiter and it was delicious. We normally order veal or seafood with a side of pasta but the menu just didn't do it for us. They brought a basket of bread and it wasn't even warm. We had an ok bottle of wine. I know some people love this place but we will not be going back.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank TravelerJohn48
“Only decent”
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

The food was not great but still not bad at all. We had a three course meal and every plate was a bit tasteless and cost a lot. Good selection of wine and a cool atmosphere!

1 Thank FilipSwe