“Italian food in a Chicago-Italian Ambiance”
Review of La Scarola

La Scarola
Ranked #37 of 10,104 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Greeted and served by Italian speaking staff. I would go there just for its character & who's who in America clientele pictures prominently posted and that includes no shortage of Frank Sinatra pics withheld owner. Great starters (bruschetta which rivals the taste of any we've had living in Italy for 6 years) pasta is superb and al dente but the portions are "per la famiglia" vice an individual.

Well worth going out of your way to make reservations here

1  Thank Michael L

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Can't be missed. Tremendous food, great atmosphere, terrific staff, felt like was at Sunday dinner as a kid with my Italian-born great aunt. Wonderfully varied menu with something for every taste. Great pre-game place before Hawks or Bulls. Reservations taken. We loved this place.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

OUT of this world fun at La Scarola. We had heard about this little gem by word of mouth but nothing can prepare you for the high energy and unusually good food there. We were a party of 8 and were seated 1/2 hour late (thank you to the irish bar 2 doors down for the beers). We were starving and asked the waiter who looked like Trotsky to just bring us a few appetizers....his choice. He produced grilled Calamari to die for and plenty of bread and wine to keep us happy. The meals were hot, huge and fulfilling..especially the pasta dishes. All 8 of us proclaimed that we had experienced one of our favorite Chicago evenings. Thank you La Sarola.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We went on Sunday around 630 we were seated right away. My wife and I had the chilian sea bass which was cooked to perfection also the steak Vesuvius which was the best I ever had. We will be back.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We walked almost 2 miles to eat at La Scarola. When we arrived, it was packed. We were asked if we had reservations (should have) but was told there would be a 20 minute wait unless we took a small table across from the bar. We took the table and watched the hustle of the servers. We had an excellent server who was quick to take our order and bring our drinks. The Pasta & Fagiole soup was so delicious and very hearty. The bread was soft and delicious, My husband had the meat lasagna and I had the cheese ravioli. The first bite was unbelievably good. I could not even finish half of my portion and my husband ate about half of his. I said it was because we had the soup (shared) but to be honest, the portions are large.

I would love to have an italian restauraunt this good close to home. Great service, GREAT FOOD, and reasonably priced. But do make reservations ahead of time.