“Fish galore”
Review of Carmine's

Carmine's
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 9,899 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Bellvue
Transit: El, Red Line at Clark / Division; 36 Broadway Bus
Description: Since 1994, Carmine's has been Chicago's destination for exciting gatherings, spirited nightlife, celebrity sightings, and of course, an unforgettable dining experience. With a diverse menu that boasts Rosebud's classic Italian American dishes, as well as premium steaks, chops, and seafood offerings, Carmine's has long been a place where those in the know choose to eat. Our large and open dining rooms are perfect for large parties, from brunch to late-night dinners. The acclaimed patio, with its vibrant energy and friendly charm, offers guests some of the best people watching in the city. And our bar, with its famous signature cocktails, is ideal to watch the big game or check out live music. Whether you're here for a casual lunch, a formal dinner, or a cocktail, it's always a party at Carmine's, and you're always at the center of the action.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Greeted with genuine enthusiasm as UK visitors. Brilliant selection of fish. The waiter described each dish we had chosen to us to ensure we happy with all of the ingredients. Exemplary service.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife, me and two teenagers were walking around the Gold Coast area of Chicago at 8:00 pm at night and famished. We happened to be walking Rush Street and poked our head into a couple of places. Rush Street at night is very energetic. Lots of people are well-dressed. Expensive automobiles, glitz and glamour are the norm. We did not come out that night with the intention of ending up on Rush, which is more of an adult scene (than family) the later it gets, but we so happened to be in the neighborhood.....

We chose Carmines because we have never eaten there but have passed it on foot many times and because a quick visual test revealed that it had the potential to be family-friendly at the late dinner hour of 8:30 pm. They got us a table immediately.

Carmines is a traditional Italian restaurant. There were no menu surprises here but that was a good thing for us because we could all order our Italian favorites and compare it to the many other Italian restaurants we have been to.

Food: My spaghetti and meatballs was among the best I have ever had. One of our party had "the best skirt steak ever" and another of our party thought the chicken parmesan was average. We all enjoyed the mile high chocolate cake.

Service: Constant monitoring of water and bread service lead to quick and satisfying service of these two elements at all times. Our friendly and efficient server was able to make sure we were completely satisfied at every step of the meal. Carmines is the type of Italian restaurant where all staff seem to be moving fast and very busy at all times. It has a nice buzz.

Clientele: people in suits and evening wear to jeans. This suited us well since we were casually dressed.

Atmosphere: We have been to Italy. This Italian restaurant is well-done! Energetic. One of the best locations in the City. Very accommodating.

All in all I think this is a satisfying place. We would go there again. This is more of the type of place to go if we want a good home cooked Italian meal but don't want to go through the hassle of trying to do a high end establishment. You can go in a $1000 suit or $20 jeans and no one feels out of place. We all left full and happy. No negatives for us.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stopped by Carmine's for brunch. I really have nothing bad to say about the place (aside from a long wait for our food, but I think that was atypical and possibily longer due to fixing a mistake that never made it tableside.)

We both ordered Eggs Benedicts - he the smoked salmon and I the crab cakes. Both were very good, and some of the best-presented poached eggs I've seen. The potato side dish was delish as well.

I felt the prices were fair as well, and for the most part, the service was good. But I stop short of giving this place 5 stars because it just didn't amaze me. They did have some sweet bread served before the main food came out, and again, while it was good, it was not amazing.

Overall, I'd recommend the restaurant for brunch again.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Lovely Place. Great Food. Service was great, but not perfect. Good variety of food. Loved the Veal al Limone. We had a party of 8 and the cost of the food, compare to all we ate and drank, was minimum. Great location as well in Rush street, as you are surrounded by many bars and other good restaurants.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

While the food here was excellent - well prepared, delivered hot to the table, the thing that will make our trip to Carmine's ever memorable was the service. Absolutely flawless!

Our waiter, Cesar, was supported by team members who obviously understood their roles in service delivery. The manager and asst manager both inquired about our well-being and were interacting with other guests to ensure satisfaction.

There are many places in Chicago to get good food, but when combined with world-class service such as we experienced, it does not get any better.

This venerable Rush street institution deserves a visit during your next Chicago trip. The menu has good breadth in terms of selections and a variety of prices to fit most budgets. Suggest you get reservations so that you are not disappointed.