“Adequate menu, good service, young crowd”
Review of Nacional 27

Nacional 27
Reserve with OpenTable
Nacional 27 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,038 of 10,258 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, South American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Orleans
Transit: CTA Brown Line or Purple Line Train to "Chicago and Franklin" stop
Description: Eat. Drink. Dance. Celebrating 10 Years as Chicago's original Modern Latin Restaurant featuring a fusion of flavors from 27 nations and islands from Central and South America and award-winning cocktails. Dancing from 11pm - 2am on Fridays and 11pm - 3am on Saturdays. Check out our website for our action-packed schedule of salsa lessons, live bands and nightly happenings including 'Dinner and a Show Tuesdays' and 'Wino Wednesdays'.
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Interesting menu. The standouts had to be the tiny tacos. The BBQ lamb taco is really tasty. The ceviches would have been outstanding if they hadn't been slightly overpowered by the taste of cilantro. Service was good - waiter was attentive and when I inquired if they had lemonade on the menu he said no but came back with a freshly squeezed and luscious lemonade that had been custom made for me.

The only thing I didn't care for - and it in no way speaks badly of the restaurant - is that the clientele were really young. Mostly 20 and early 30-somethings. We are in our early 50s and felt a tad out of place. Just be aware that for whatever reason, it tends to cater to a younger crowd.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Went for dinner on Friday night, service was excellent. Food was disappointing. Ordered the Peruvian Shrimp Ceviche and empanadas - which were both very good. Chorizo empanada was the tastiest. Main entrees weren't so good. I've always said it is nearly impossible to get a bad steak in any Chicago downtown restaurants. National 27 proved me wrong. Ordered the skirt steak and the chimichurri steak rare. Both came back overcooked and chewy not tender at all. Potatoes were better than the steaks. Mojitos were well made and tasty. Had the flan for desert it was ok. While it was a nice experience we will not be back.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This place is great for drinks and dancing. Good selection of Latin American music. The mojito is a must, all drinks in general are very good. Didn't come here for dinner but the food certainly looked good so I will be coming back to try it! Certainly a fun, unique environment compared to other bars/clubs in Chicago. Fun night guaranteed if you are in the mood for it.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

It was restaurant week in Chicago from the last week in January through the first week in February. We were able to take part in a prix-fixe menu at Nacional 27 for $33 per person and sample some great Latin cuisine. The starters included the compulsory chips and salsa, but then a nice sampler of appetizers were presented. Steak and vegetable skewers, chorizo empanadas, and tiny chicken tacos. The two main entrees were roasted salmon with salsa verde and suckling pig with a sweet and spicy glaze. Once we thought we were full, grilled shrimp and scallops came out gaucho-style on skewers. Once paired with a couple mojitos, we were able to roll out of the restaurant fat and happy. The restaurant had a great vibe with a hopping bar and a dance floor it you are wanting to show off your salsa dancing. the service was great and I don't think our water glasses ever got to half-full. Surprisingly enough, Nacional 27 is owned by the Lettuce Entertain You group that has several themed restaurants in the Chicago area. This certainly does not behave like a restaurant owned by a large management group.

1  Thank RJ P
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I celebrated my birthday here, and was incredibly glad I did. I'd been eating rich food like a true vacationer and had made myself a little ill prior to this visit. I was ready for some familiar food, and found it here. Their tortilla soup was excellent. Their coconut rice and beans reminded me of my mother an law's Jamaican Rice and Peas.. very good. Because I kept it simple I was ready to party the night away and at 11pm they met my expectations. From coat check to service at my table, the waitstaff were very attentive. I ordered a pitcher of mojitos and and sangria, as well as a bottle of vodka for my guests and I. The mojito definitely needed work. It taasted like club soda and lime. However, the staff did their best to accommodate, and even brought agave to the table so that we could sweeten it to our taste. The rest was easty and they kept their word by having plenty of mixers and garnish. I wish they'd had cherries but it didn't matter. The DJ kept me dancing all night!