“Trendy treat on Randolph”
Review of Vivo - CLOSED

Neighborhood: West Loop
Cross street: Green St.
Transit: Clinton Green/Pink line El; Halsted Bus and plenty of taxis available
San Antonio, Texas
“Trendy treat on Randolph”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Excellent menu and superb wine pairings; try the Pistachio-encrusted Tilapia with a fragrant Chardonnay.

Visited August 2012

“Good value in a hip part of town”
Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

Long time resident of Chicago and walking past Vivo on Randolph and my wife said she went to Vivo 20 years ago. Walked in on a Thursday night and got seated right away. This Itslian restaurant
was a great value. Had the Cesar Salad which did not have too much dressing like a lot of them have. Have the clam in wine sauce appetizer it was ok. But the best was the black linguine with crab. The sauce was spicy and great.

The service was great. When you needed you glass filled someone was there.

For a good meal at a good value go to Vivo.

Saginaw, Michigan
“Yummy Italian!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The gnocchi is delicious. Service was great. Vegetarian options were good.

Visited June 2012
Bismarck, Illinois
“Elegant Italian dining in West Loop”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I love this restaurant - I cannot wait to go back and try other items on the menu. I ordered the pepper-encrusted filet of beef in a blue cheese cream sauce and was delighted - the meat was tender and perfectly prepared and the cream sauce was the perfect compliment. The restaurant itself is cozy, classy, and the waitstaff is professional and friendly. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who loves to dine.

• Visited May 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“**RUINED BIRTHDAY - PLEASE READ**”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

For those that don't know, Vivo has a special table set in a converted elevator shaft - private, very romantic, and ideal for special occasions. I called Vivo in early August to reserve it for my boyfriend and I this weekend, October 15th, to celebrate his birthday. I was told in complete confidence that the table would be ours. I called Vivo on October 8th to confirm the reservation and to make sure we'd get the table. I was again told yes, for sure.

We arrived at Vivo on the 15th ten minutes ahead of our reservation time and the elevator shaft was taken by a party of 6. I was told that my request for that table "must have been overlooked". When I informed the hostess that the only reason I made reservations at Vivo was so we could sit there and that I expected to be compensated for their mistake, I received an attitude-ridden "I'm sorry" and we were handed a glass of champagne each. Being that it was 8pm on a Saturday night, I knew the chances of not having to wait at least an hour anywhere decent on Randolph were slim, so we really had no choice but to stay.

We were then sat at a table that was no more than 5 inches away from the tables on either side of us. Calling it communal seating would not be a large exaggeration. Anytime I reached down to get something out of my purse, my head brushed the lap of the man sitting next to me. Extremely uncomfortable. After being seated, we waited 20 minutes to be acknowledged by the waiter. We received no apology for this.

Throughout the meal, the 2 couples sitting to my right became increasingly more intoxicated to the point of being downright obnoxious. Being so close to them, there was really no way of escaping their rudeness. Things escalated between their table and ours and we ended up not even ordering dessert as planned because we wanted to leave so badly. And that was my boyfriend's birthday dinner.

I'm no where near snobby when it comes to restaurants - bring me good food in an efficient amount of time and I'm happy. The food at Vivo is fine, but nothing that would make me willing to look past the horrendous service we received and go back. There are too many great choices in this city to waste time on a place that cares more about the amount on the bill than respecting their patrons.

• Visited October 2011