“Great Greek Food - fun atmosphere”
Review of Parthenon Restaurant - CLOSED

Parthenon Restaurant
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We came to the Parthenon to try the original Saganaki. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and found the "classic", "old school" atmosphere fun. Tables are closely spaced which leads to loud atmosphere, but it fits well for the vibe at Parthenon. After multiple dinners dinners, we were eating lights, so we split the Saganoki (flaming cheese), Spanakopits (spinich & Feta cheese in phyllo crust) and Baklava. All were very good.

There are newer reviews for Parthenon Restaurant

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We took the Halstead bus straight to the Parthenon before a Lyric Opera performance. We had a tight schedule, but the fast attentive service made it possible to have a great, relaxed meal and not feel rushed. Of course we had to have the saganaki, and I had the lamb special and my daughter had moussaka. Everything was great, especially loved the wonderful savory sauces of both dishes. It might be a bit of a tourist trap (there were a lot of sports-going people there that night, which is a bit of a culture clash with opera goers!), but who cares when the food is so consistently good?!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Greektown sadly is shrinking but a few of the old standbys are still there such as the Parthenon,Santorinis,Roditys etc...We chose the Parthenon after a long absence..I t was a good stop on the path of life..The atmosphere was buzzing,the smells so good..The service,as always,was superb..It was my wifes birthday[free baklava] and the celebration was sweet..The downside??Our food wasnt hot and my wifes veggie meal[mousakis]was lacking..It it hadnt been the Parthenon we may not have given such a high rating..Overall a memorable experience..

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This place is a great value. Portions are large and reasonably priced.

We began our meal with an order of the MINI SPANAKOPITA PIES! Easily the tastiest part of our meal. The order came out hot and delicious. The inside all gooey and the outside nice and flaky. Then we had the egglemon soup. It was cozy and comforting on a cool spring evening. Followed by the Greek salad. The salad was okay but the dressing could have had more flavor to it. Our main course was the ROTISSERIE-ROASTED LAMB. The flavor was good but the cuts on the plates were inconsistent. There was a lot of bone on my plate but mostly none on my husbands. To finish we had the BAKLAVA. It was good but I have had better. It was a bit dry and needed more of the gooey honey sauce to make it great!

The Parthenon restaurant is easy to get to, just a couple of blocks off of route 90/94 and has complimentary valet parking (although we exited at just the wrong time and had to wait for our car for bit as there was a line).

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I've been to almost every restaurant along the stretch of Halsted Street known as Greektown, and the Parthenon remains at the top of my list year after year.

Quite simply, the food, atmosphere and service are all consistently very, very good.

The atmosphere, like any good Greek restaurant, is brimming with Greek pride. In other words, it's way over the top in paying homage to its national roots, but it pulls it off a classier way than the nearby Greek Islands Restaurant, which also has great food but is more like a theme park inside.

The Parthenon menu has been redesigned a few times in it's 45-year history, but the staples have remained the same for years. You simply can't go wrong with anything in the lamb department. The makaroni me kima (spaghetti with meat sauce) is an outstanding Greek take on the Italian classic. And I'm pretty sure the gyros are the best in town.

Watch how the waiters manage to carry a seemingly impossible number of plates when they have a big table. Waiter Sal can handle seven flaming saganaki at once.

Hint: There's a dinner add-on for $7.95 that gets you soup, salad, dessert and coffee. And yes, you really can order a lamb's head. If it's not on the menu, ask.

1  Thank BadAngus