“You Can Seriously Order a Lambs Head Here”
Review of Parthenon Restaurant - CLOSED

Parthenon Restaurant
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I've been to almost every restaurant along the stretch of Halsted Street known as Greektown, and the Parthenon remains at the top of my list year after year.

Quite simply, the food, atmosphere and service are all consistently very, very good.

The atmosphere, like any good Greek restaurant, is brimming with Greek pride. In other words, it's way over the top in paying homage to its national roots, but it pulls it off a classier way than the nearby Greek Islands Restaurant, which also has great food but is more like a theme park inside.

The Parthenon menu has been redesigned a few times in it's 45-year history, but the staples have remained the same for years. You simply can't go wrong with anything in the lamb department. The makaroni me kima (spaghetti with meat sauce) is an outstanding Greek take on the Italian classic. And I'm pretty sure the gyros are the best in town.

Watch how the waiters manage to carry a seemingly impossible number of plates when they have a big table. Waiter Sal can handle seven flaming saganaki at once.

Hint: There's a dinner add-on for $7.95 that gets you soup, salad, dessert and coffee. And yes, you really can order a lamb's head. If it's not on the menu, ask.

1  Thank BadAngus

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Wonderful friendly place and atmosphere! Our waiter was very experienced and knowledgeable and recommended some wonderful dishes. Just a happy, noisy place and a great experience

Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you could make a meal just on Saganaki??? This would be the place! Went to Greektown during a day trip to Chicago and had heard good things about the restaurant. We had made a reservation just in case and got there and hour early. The host seated us early with a smile. I had Tricolor Pasta with Greek sausage, tomatoes, peppers, in a red garlic sauce. My friend had classic gyros. Both of us had a doggy bag only so we could have desert! I had crema carmelle. It was like a cold creme brulle'. I would have preferred it warmed up, but the taste was good! My friend had a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse layers with a chocolate icing. I was a little jealous!!! Especially after she gave me a taste of the cake! A womans dream!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

True to Greek origins and regions. Excellent service. Wide range of choices -- everything comes to the table at the appropriate temperature. Scordalia is a must try. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The Parthenon is one of the original Greek restaurants within Chicago's Greek Town on Halsted. There are lots of choices in Greek Town but we keep coming back to the Parthenon. If you get there and have to wait in line -they serve you free Ouzo so if it's cold and you are waiting outside for a bit, you'll get a little warmer.
Sagnaki is their flaming cheese appetizer and the waiters serve it with flourish. You may be able to see singe marks on the ceiling. Everyone says Opa when the flames erupt. The cheese is great and shareable. They claim to have invented the dish at the restaurant. I'm not sure it's true but it's a great legend and it's great entertainment.
We usually get a bottle of the house Roditis - a rose type wine which goes quite well with Greek food.
We like the gyros, the Greek salad, the Souvlaki (meat and vegetables on skewers), Pastitsio (sort of a Greek lasagna) and Dolmathes (grape leaves stuffed with rice and ground meat).
The waiters are very attentive and they are always watching out for you to see if you need more wine - more bread (delicious and I think it is home made).
My daughter was determined not to like Greek food and wound up eating 3 or 4 rolls of bread before the Saganaki came and then she discovered Greek food was pretty tasty.
We've probably been to this restaurant a dozen times over the years and we're never disappointed. Enjoy.