“Great vegan vegetarian gastropub food in a great little bar.”
Review of The Handlebar

The Handlebar
Ranked #600 of 9,810 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I've been here a few times, but I had either just eaten, or I was with a coworker that had just eaten. Either way I enjoyed their beer selection - reminded me of all the great selection I get in my home, Seattle.

This time I ate lunch, and it was great! I ordered the BBQ seitan sandwich with soup. Was going to order the Mac and cheese, but I was so stuffed with just the soup. The sandwich was piled high with seitan. The sauce was just spicy enough, and it's simplicity of bread, seitan, sauce and onion was great. The soup was hearty and tasted great. The pickle was amazing - I am going to miss it.

Seitan was good, and reminded me a lot of te stuff I make at home but it was a little saltier.

Beer was great, filled my belly, and now I am back on the blue line headed to O'hare. I am definitely coming back here next trip.

Reviewed April 29, 2010

We absolutely loved this place. Excellent pesca-vegetarian menu, really REALLY good food! I highly recommend it.

1  Thank Andre S
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I was in on May 17, when I met Robbie Donavan a new trainee. He was one of the most interesting young adults ever. He told me of his years spent at The Art institute of Chicago and his interest in philosophy. What a well spoken young man, where do you get people like that? I can't wait to come back, but I am a creature of habit I like a familiar face and the same seat. The food was just fine. The salad was wonderful, but we all know it's "the people" and the atmosphere that make the place!

Reviewed March 20, 2009

Bored with the usual bland US offerings I was taken to the Handlebar by a couple of locals. Thank goodness they took me there - my tongue was about to commit suicide as I hadn't given it any *natural* flavours to savour in a few days.

The Handlebar garlic mash saved my tongue.

And they serve kriek beer and cyclists.

How civilised.

Go, eat, enjoy.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed September 13, 2008

Hearty vegetarian food even a non-vegetarian can enjoy. A nice ecclectic mix of ethnic dishes, mostly Mexican, and comfort food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to The Handlebar? Share your experiences!