“Do not go here if your party is more than two people!”
Review of Longman & Eagle

Longman & Eagle
Ranked #167 of 9,883 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed April 2, 2013

First of all, the food is wonderful! Our server Justin was great too......BUT we waited for over one hour, about one hour and 40 minutes to be seated......It was busy, but watching numerous tables of two being seated, as we waited was not cool. Our party of three, watch a line of two-tops (about 10 tables of two) turn over twice. When I asked the hostess Theresa after waiting 45 minutes, why two table couldn't be pushed together to accomodate us, her response was something like "we only seat larger parties at bigger tables". Well, after our extensive wait, and the restaurant crowd died down......guess what they did.....MOVED TWO OF THE TABLES TOGETHER!!!!!! When we commented "why couldn't this have been done earlier", Theresa said something like "the other tables where in different servers sections".....which, having been in the restaurant business myself, was just plain BS.....Again, if the food was not so good, and our server was not so great I would say stay away, but instead, I'll just say do not go to this restuarant if you are not a party of two!!!!!! I do hope the manager reads this post, because, he/she needs to train his/her hostesses how to manage seating in a busy place. There was no excuse for the length of our wait. Especially considering, many parties of two walked in and were immediately seated. Food alone doesn't get Michelan stars.........

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great brunch place, with novel spin on the American breakfast and lunch fare. Beer list is superb. Place is "hot", hence, be prepared to wait for the table which is well worth it.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Yep...you'll wait 1 - 2 hours to eat. Don't come here an whine about the wait...go someplace else that has no people in it! Folks, there are reasons for the wait:

A) It's really good, delicious, interesting food
B) It's reasonably priced and proportioned
C) The wait is interesting as you end up chatting with people around you
D) The staff is frickin friendly and they want you to hang and have a good time
E) The hipster vibe is friendly and inviting
F) The drinks (mixed, beer, wine) all interesting and good (my first sour beer!)

We ended up eating at the bar (just as our turn for a table arrived) and enjoyed it as the bartender is really interested in pairing drinks with the food you order. Had the meatballs - not just meatballs, maybe the best thing we ate. Moved onto a salad with king crab, salmon roe and greens. Holy chickens was it good! Continued the journey with the agnolotti and the pork shank. No room for dessert. Should have booked a room upstairs and stayed much longer but needed to drive home safely!

Need to come back as there are so many other things I want to try. Whiners stay away please - maybe that will cut the wait by 15 minutes!

1  Thank mciesemier
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Visited last Sunday. We had intended to go to the Girl and the Goat and a friend suggested L&E. We had a drink at the bar. They of course insisted we close out; first negative. Service was good but the food was a huge let down. We started with the bone marrow which was good but the bacon over powered the taste. Good but not great. That was unfortunately the best it got. We had the sweet breads - which was god aweful. the soy fish sauce was so overpowering it actually made my friend feel sick. ordered scallops - they were undercooked and raw in the center. We ordered 5 plates total and would have ordered dessert but decided to go elsewhere. First off - bring one dish at a time!!!! Seriously, can't you serve the food like most reputable places? Second- They over flavor!!! Third - Way too expensive for what you're getting!!!
My personal opinion is its a fashionable trendy spot that will never stand the test of time unless they make drastic changes. Sorry, will not give them a second chance.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

OK, I am guessing people will not agree with me here since clearly with the 1-2 hour wait people love this place, but I didn't think there was anything special about this place. There are some interesting dishes, but I personally did not think they were that great and while they seemed unique, I have had similar stuff at other restaurants that I felt was better. I don't know, kind of seemed amateurish to me, like the staff and people there didn't know this stuff exist elsewhere. No idea why there is such a long wait, but in my opinion, definitely not worth it.

Been to Longman & Eagle? Share your experiences!