“For the foodie who doesn't mind a longish wait...worth it!”
Review of Longman & Eagle

Longman & Eagle
Ranked #141 of 9,531 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Chicago, IL
“For the foodie who doesn't mind a longish wait...worth it!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Yep...you'll wait 1 - 2 hours to eat. Don't come here an whine about the wait...go someplace else that has no people in it! Folks, there are reasons for the wait:

A) It's really good, delicious, interesting food
B) It's reasonably priced and proportioned
C) The wait is interesting as you end up chatting with people around you
D) The staff is frickin friendly and they want you to hang and have a good time
E) The hipster vibe is friendly and inviting
F) The drinks (mixed, beer, wine) all interesting and good (my first sour beer!)

We ended up eating at the bar (just as our turn for a table arrived) and enjoyed it as the bartender is really interested in pairing drinks with the food you order. Had the meatballs - not just meatballs, maybe the best thing we ate. Moved onto a salad with king crab, salmon roe and greens. Holy chickens was it good! Continued the journey with the agnolotti and the pork shank. No room for dessert. Should have booked a room upstairs and stayed much longer but needed to drive home safely!

Need to come back as there are so many other things I want to try. Whiners stay away please - maybe that will cut the wait by 15 minutes!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank mciesemier

• Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
“huge disappointment!!!!”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Visited last Sunday. We had intended to go to the Girl and the Goat and a friend suggested L&E. We had a drink at the bar. They of course insisted we close out; first negative. Service was good but the food was a huge let down. We started with the bone marrow which was good but the bacon over powered the taste. Good but not great. That was unfortunately the best it got. We had the sweet breads - which was god aweful. the soy fish sauce was so overpowering it actually made my friend feel sick. ordered scallops - they were undercooked and raw in the center. We ordered 5 plates total and would have ordered dessert but decided to go elsewhere. First off - bring one dish at a time!!!! Seriously, can't you serve the food like most reputable places? Second- They over flavor!!! Third - Way too expensive for what you're getting!!!
My personal opinion is its a fashionable trendy spot that will never stand the test of time unless they make drastic changes. Sorry, will not give them a second chance.

• Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Am I missing something?”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

OK, I am guessing people will not agree with me here since clearly with the 1-2 hour wait people love this place, but I didn't think there was anything special about this place. There are some interesting dishes, but I personally did not think they were that great and while they seemed unique, I have had similar stuff at other restaurants that I felt was better. I don't know, kind of seemed amateurish to me, like the staff and people there didn't know this stuff exist elsewhere. No idea why there is such a long wait, but in my opinion, definitely not worth it.

• Visited January 2013
Chicago
“Amazing!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Longman & Eagle is AMAZING! And so reasonable on the wallet! The drinks are fantastic! The staff is marvelous! The food is unbelievably delicious!
Get here early if you do not want to wait long for a table. If you do need to wait... Grab a drink from the bar!!!
They also have hotel rooms... I hope to stay here soon despite the fact that I live ONE MILE away!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Nikki S
Miami Beach, Florida
“2 hours of wait time for a table!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This restaurant has a cool and hip atmosphere, great wiskey, and great tapas.Truthfully, if it wasn't because the food was amaizing, I would give this place a 3 star review. The place was packed, very loud, and the wait was extremely long. The restaurant has a cool and hip atmosphere, great wiskey, and great tapas.

I never thought I'd wait so long for a table, until now...it was well worth it! This place deserves its reputation.

My recommendations: