“Awesome atmosphere with "okay" Sushi”
Review of Coast Sushi

Coast Sushi
Ranked #948 of 9,839 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I had dinner here on a Saturday night with my wife and a couple friends after reading some stellar reviews on Trip Advisor. We made reservations at 8:00pm and were seated promptly at the requested time. It's BYOB so we brought a couple bottles of Saki purchased at the local Whole Foods which the water brought an ice bath for and we ordered our appetizers. Our apps took about 25 minutes to come out and they arrived one at a time (we ordered 2). Our meal took a no joke 1 hour after that to arrive (4 rolls). I understand that this place was packed and I enjoy the company we were with but that seems a little excessive to me. The fish was very fresh but all in all the rolls didn't impress me. I was expecting a Sushi Roku (Las Vegas) type event for the price and it just didn't step up to the plate. The total dining time including finishing our drinks was about 3:10 which would make this more of a boozy huge party kind of place.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

It was about time that this Sarasota couple got out of "God's waiting room" and into the land of the living! (Chicago)

Our first night in Chicago found us just outside of downtown, eating sushi at Coast Sushi- a trendy, fun and loud establishment in Wicker Park. The place was jumping when we arrived at 730 on a Wednesday night, so we put our names on the list and were told it would be about 30 minutes. To kill time, we walked across the street to pick up some beer and wine for dinner, as Coast Sushi is BYOB! by the way, did you know that 7-11's in Chicago sell hard liquor too? Hmmm. Any ways, we came back to the restaurant and sat in the front area and began our people watching....most were already imbibing on there purchases, as the front desk staff is very accommodating with opening your wine or beer, and providing glasses to you before you even sit down! Awesome!!!!

Right at the 30 minute mark, we were called to our table. We were greeted by our server immediately, Alyan was her name. She was pleasant and friendly during our entire stay,
Providing us with amazing service without being over- attentive, which is nice.

My wife and I shared the ceviche app, edamame, seaweed salad and 4 rolls. Ceviche roll, Maine roll, the special of the night roll, which I forgot the name and another one which slips my mind as well. All were incredibly fresh and enjoyable. After our apps, 4 rolls, a bottle of wine and a 40 of beer, we were finished. I mean really finished. Full and a buzzed. The meal was priced well, the service was great and the fun, load ambiance was energetic. The whole evening was amazing there. I don't want to forget to mention the wonderful service that we received from Luis, the busser. He was on the spot with water, opening blinds and taking care of the entire restaurant on his own. I worked in restaurants for a very long time before my career change, and have never seen a busser work as hard as he did. I was so impressed by him, as we were leaving, I palmed him a tip of his own...he deserved it.

Can't go wrong here.

Tips: go early, put your name on the list, get some booze, come back and drink the in the lobby while people watching!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Excellent sushi, very friendly and helpful staff, and very reasonably priced.
Note, the restaurant is BYO so make sure your bring your own wine/beer if you want a drink. There are a couple of liquor stores just across the street as well.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

My friends introduced me to Coast and raved about it forever, so I finally went. It is truly good sushi. I love sushi, rolls...pieces... soup... salad... I love it all. And while Coast is very good, I do not think it even rates in the top 5 I have had in Chicago. I would and have gone back. The only problem with Coast is that most times it is a 30 minute to 1 hour wait to get in on a weekend evening. I suppose that speaks more to its quality than anything else, but carry-out is also an option here too! It's very good, boardering on great. Service is solid, nothing spectacular, but I have also found that at sushi restaurants, service rarely is exceptional. Also, as far as sushi in the area is concerned, Coast is up there in price. Don't expect it to be cheap.

Reviewed February 29, 2012

One of the best neighborhood sushi restaurants in Chicago, plus it’s BYOB. I can say that while at most other sushi restaurants I’ve tried in Chicago, meals elsewhere keep me longing for Coast. After living near this place for five years and becoming a frequent diner (once a month), I’ve noticed that the specials have not really changed and the menu most certainly hasn’t either. Perhaps it’s a “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” mentality, which I would agree with since the food is so good here. They do add some new specials about once per year, but I’d bet the tuna Carpaccio will never not be listed as a special (as it’s been a “special” for the past seven years).

Stepping away from the menu focus, the food is great and very consistent. In the 50 plus times I’ve eaten here, I can’t think of more than one night where things just didn’t taste perfect. Sushi tastes can be very personal as some people go from safe to more extreme types of sushi, but I’ve dined with plenty of adventurous eaters who have tried Coast’s more aggressive options. I like to play it safe with some basic nigiri or maki and would highly recommend the volcano, white dragon, coast crab and sunrise maki. For appetizers the seafood gyoza are some of my favorites in Chicago (as are the wasabi shumai), and for dessert you have to try the chocolate dome cake. The dome cake is only made in limited quantities and maybe not all nights… it’s not the menu so if your server doesn’t mention it, ask for it. It is similar to a mousse and has a sweet crunchy bottom with a side of ice cream… perfect to share with two people.