“A gem”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Cross street: Logan Blvd.
Transit: Logan Square- Blue Line
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Really good breakfast places are hard to find, so when I read about Lula I was hopeful. We went late on a weekday morning during a brief stay in Chicago, and the place was initially moderately busy and then filled up with the lunch crowd. I had the smoked trout scramble, which came with potatoes and toast. Other people I was with had pancakes, the brioche french toast, and the breakfast burrito with a side of bacon. To say that everything was good is a dramatic understatement. It was exceptional. The bacon - bacon! - made us all slow down to enjoy it. Coffee was hot, strong, and refilled frequently, as was my water glass. The waitstaff was friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable. And although the dining room was full, it didn't feel crowded or uncomfortable. I only wish we had an option half this good nearer to us.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My friend and I ate here on a suggestion from one of her co-workers and it was superb. They do not have a large menu and it was definitely ecclectic and innovative. I had the Autumn salad: spaghetti squash slow poached in hazelnut oil, smoked trout roe, celery aioli, asian pear and carob which was amazing and nothing like I've had before. For my main meal I had braised Veal cheeks with prune, armagnac, red miso, amaranth and parsnip. It was very tender and a hearty plate of comfort food with a twist. And because our meal was so delightful we ended up sharing the Chestnut Cranberry tart. We were a little hesitant but our very nice server convinced us to try it as it was her favorite. She was right, the cranberries were not too tart and it was just the correct amount of sweetness and it really hit the spot.

I recommend this place to anybody looking for a great organic fare of delicious food with flavor.

Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Five of us shared a combination of small plates and entrees plus two desserts. Ranged in flavors from middle eastern to Mexican to Asian-well prepared and unique. Attentive service in an intimate space-eager to return!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I visited Lula Cafe while in Chicago seeing friends. We are from New York, so we know what a great restaurant looks like - and Lula Cafe is a great restaurant. Between the four of us, we had a vegetarian tasking menu and half of the menu. Lula is inventive, relaxed, affordable and gourmet. The food is exquisite.

This restaurant is an outstanding value.

When we come back to Chicago, we are coming back to Lula Cafe.

1  Thank adamlipson
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The atmosphere was great. The food was okay. I made clear to the waiter that I had a gluten allergy, he helped me select dishes, and food ended up on my plate containing gluten (which I only determined after eating a bite). That was disappointing.

1  Thank Cal B