“2 out of 2 Ticas like this place”
Review of Irazu

Irazu
Ranked #409 of 9,838 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Latin, Costa Rican, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Description: Irazu is Chicago's first and only Costa Rican restaurant and we've been perfecting our style for the past 27 years. We've been a mainstay in the heart of Bucktown, just steps from the O'Hare Blue Line (Western station) and "The 606". Come visit us for a quick bite or a rustic sit-down meal with friends and family - your stomach and your party (and your wallet) will thank you! Pura Vida!
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I went with my wife and her cousin's family when we were visiting Chicago. We have been here before and liked it. My wife's family is from Costa Rica so we like to try the Gallo Pinto when we are in Chicago (and Costa Rica). This place has good, homestyle food- heavy on the rice and beans, just the way my wife likes it. We also got Guanabana batidos (smoothies) which were good- not something we get to drink very often at home. The prices are very reasonable and it is easy to get here from the Blue Line (Damen or Western stops). There is also street parking on Milwaukee Ave. If you like Gallo Pinto and Casados, this is the place.

1  Thank kt3
Henry C, Owner at Irazu, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for the feedback.

2/2 Costa Ricans enjoy our cuisine. That's great news!. We recognize that our brothers and sisters from Costa Rica are Irazu's harshest critics ( and rightfully so ). We are happy to hear that they enjoy the Casado, the Gallo Pinto, and the Guanabana shakes --- a perfect meal in our Costa Rican setting in Chicago.

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

After seeing this restaurant on diners drive ins and dives finally hit to Chicago to check it out. I have to say not bad at all. Fried green plantain was great with chopped garlic in olive oil and fried pork just as good. Definitely would revisit

Henry C, Owner at Irazu, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for the feedback.

Agree that the Patacones with Mojo and the Chicharron make for a perfect Costa Rican meal in Chicago.

Glad that your travels landed you here in Bucktown, Chicago -- look forward to your next visit.

Henry Cerdas. Owner

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Super nice people and the food was different. Not too often that you get to find Costa Rican food and I very much recommend this place. The shakes are amazing and I recommend the Taco Tico and I love it that it is BYOB. The neighborhood is full of great places and I'm glad they are family owned and not some BIG chain place

Henry C, Owner at Irazu, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Unique -- agree. We are Chicago's first and only Costa Rican restaurant.

We pride on serving the distinct flavors of our cuisine to locals and travelers.

Appreciate your feedback. Looking forward to your return.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I ate here for lunch one afternoon at the recommendation of a friend. I really enjoyed it. I had the taco tico's, empanadas, and an oatmeal shake. The food is great! The shakes are delicious. It's Costa Rican and a bit different then I expected. I would go again and again but my husband I'm afraid is not as big a fan as I am.

Henry C, Owner at Irazu, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Monica, thank you for the feedback.

Glad you enjoyed the unique flavors of our cuisine. Drag your hubby on your next Irazu summer patio visit to Chicago. I am convinced he will be a fan!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a great neighborhood restaurant. They have a large selection of empanadas. I had the spinach/cheese and the plantain ones. I will be going back to try the other flavors. The El TIco is also very good. They have a nice outdoor dining area. It is BYOB and cash only. Street parking is available and it is only two or three blocks from the Western stop of the blue line.

Henry C, Owner at Irazu, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Best empanadas. That's quite an endorsement. I cannot agree with you more regarding the spinach + cheese empanada. That's my favorite!

Come out and revisit us in the Summer Patio. It makes for the perfect setting in Chicago.