“Pitch-perfect French meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chez Joel

Chez Joel
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Joel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #473 of 9,493 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: University Village / Little Italy
Transit: Racine Blue line..Taylor bus, Number 8 Halsted bus.
“Pitch-perfect French meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband had been with a group and suggested Chez Joel for our anniversary. The room is lovely and, at least on a Sunday evening, it was quiet enough for real conversation. Much of the conversation at neighboring tables was in French. The service was perfect; the food was solidly delicious. The tarte aux pommes was a triumph. We spent much of the meal thinking which of our friends would enjoy Chez Joel.

• Visited March 2014

Chicago, Illinois
“Wow a genuine romantic french bistro with good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

A wonderful find on Taylor Street. Very warm environment. Menu had all the classics. I had moules mariniere and duck; my dinnermate French onion soup and coq au vin. The folks next to us started with escargots. Nothing fusion here just very well prepared food with excellent service.

• Visited March 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Valentine's Day price fixe menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

This year was the second year in a row that we went to Chez Joel for Valentine's Day. The restaurant does a lovely price fixe menu for the holiday and decorates the restaurant with tons of red roses and candles - totally romantic. The menu this year was almost the same as last year, which is a very good thing - don't mess with what works!

To start: I had lobster bisque both this year and last year - DIVINE! This year my husband had carpaccio, and last year he had a puff pastry with some kind of seafood sauce - both were delicious. Entree: I had chicken breast stuffed with spinach and goat cheese, and my husband had duck breast and confit. Both entrees were exceptional and beautifully presented. The duck had a lot of flavor, and the chicken breast was very tender (and smothered in goat cheese - how can you go wrong with that?). Last year for an entree, I had scallops in saffron risotto and my husband had filet mignon - both of these were exceptional as well. Out of all four of the entrees we have shared from this restaurant, I think my favorite of them all was the scallops in saffron risotto - it just had so much flavor. For dessert both years we both ordered a chocolate cake with warm chocolate sauce inside (similar to lava cake, but much more refined). Nice wine list, and my husband enjoyed some kind of specialty cocktail.

I just can't say enough good things about this restaurant. The food is SO rich and tasty, I don't know how anyone could possibly walk away unsatisfied. Worth the price for a romantic night out in Chicago's Little Italy. I also want to try the brunch someday, as I've heard multiple people recommend it.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Sarah Z
Sleepy Hollow, Illinois
“Night out with some friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

First time to Chez Joel on a Sunday night. Great service, nice atmosphere and outstanding food. I will be back!

• Visited December 2013
Kendall Park, NJ
“Not quite French But close”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had a party of eight and all of our dishes were very tasty. The lamb chops were outstanding. Steak frites were good as was the halibut (served on a small bed of cabbage and sliced ginger.) escargots were very good topped with breadcrumbs and a splash of Pernod.
Will go again.