“Great -long Wait Time”

Home of The Hoagy
Ranked #2,458 of 10,076 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I have been visiting this establishment since high school and I'm in my 40s now. The food is great, especially the turkey hoagie and steak sandwich. On a really good day I will also order fries with sauce. The place has nothing appealing as far as the decor with very little standing room for their customers. The neighborhood is not the best either. The wait time can be 25 to 35 mins especially in the summer and weekends. I find it best to go early around 11 or right before they close at 9. I often say I wouldn't go back but find myself wanting a turkey hoagie every now and then.

1  Thank LivingMyLife32

Reviewed March 20, 2012

I am a very careful eater but, sometimes I crave this food and got to have it. This is the only fast food I eat when I have a cheat day.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

I find it odd that people get sooooooo wiped out over waiting for something they like... what an impatient society we have become. I don' t see how this location is rude... they take your order, you wait till they call your name, and you pick-up your food and go. Where I noticed rude was the amount of people standing in this itty-bitty shop complaining LOUDLY about the wait. Not to mention the amount of people who walk up to the already crowded order line DEMANDING to know when there order will be ready.

SO WHAT it takes a while if it's worth the wait!!!! Some small businesses are afraid to relocate or expand, because quite frankly, 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.' They have a HUGE amount of people ordering and some had multiple orders. From what I could see, the kitchen area had as many people as could possibly fit back there to make and take orders without cutting, killing or burning one another. So if you come here, relax.. it may take a little longer than you would like.

That all being said... this is probably the best sandwich on the face of the planet. A GLORIOUS BLEND of seasoned meat with onions, peppers and the most deliciously sweet sauce you could ask for on a soft warm Italian bun with melted cheese!!! This sandwich makes my eyes roll to the back of my head with a symphony of mmmmmm sounds with just one bite. I could seriously eat this every day for the rest of my life!!! I personally prefer the sandwich with no sauce and the fries drowned in sauce.

Reviewed December 22, 2009

All I can say is that I grew up eating hoagies and steak sandwiches as a child while living in Morgan Park. Like the Jackson Five, Home of the Hoagy is like family to me. My first job was shinning shoes at Bill's, which was a neighborhood candy store several doors west of the "hoagy shop" (affectionately called by neighborhood kids). On Sundays (yes; at that time they were opened on Sundays), I would go pick up my pay from Bill's, which amounted to about $7.00 a week, and go straight to the hoagy shop and get me either a hoagy or steak sandwich. I ate it right away so that I wouldn't have to share with my brothers or sisters. Now, my kids live in Iowa, and they are hooked. Everyone I've ever taken to Home of the Hoagy gets hooked on these delicious filling treats! And, don't forget the "fries with steak sauce"! It's Christmas '09, and I will be having a large turkey hoagy with extra cheese, extra onions, and extra wet; with a large fries with steak sauce! Oh, and my kids and friends, living in Indiana and Iowa, will have theirs too.

Reviewed May 8, 2009

I was always getting their steak hoagies. Once my husband best friend had us to try the turkey sub, it was like "wow", this is gooood. I don't know what type of seasoning they put on the turkey sub sandwich, but it's going on. Also, you gottah get the fries with the famous sauce.

Been to Home of The Hoagy? Share your experiences!