“Yummy and Fun”

Heaven on Seven - N Wabash
Ranked #613 of 9,493 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Albuquerque
“Yummy and Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Living in land-locked Albuquerque with no Cajun food available, I had definitely put Heaven on Seven on my list of restaurants to try while in Chicago. Despite the mixed reviews here, I found the wait staff to be very friendly and entertaining with their discussions of the various hot sauces. My shrimp Po Boy was huge and scrumptious -- the shrimp were not overbreaded and were just spicy enuf for me. The cup of gumbo that came with it was good, but nothing to get excited about. The only disappointment was the side of cole slaw -- not to my taste, but everyone has a different idea of what slaw should be.

• Visited August 2013

Sydney, Australia
2,827 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,822 helpful votes
“Not special as I used to enjoy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Had been going to the Wabash original back in the 80's and it was always a special place for me - it lacked sophistication and superficiality but its food was unique and wonderful.
As so many trips are, I went on a history trip but tried the N Michigan outlet. Nothing special here - looks like a franchise outlet and the gumbo was very ordinary. Not much resemblance to the Cajun food I had in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago.
Service was good but you can't eat that.

• Visited August 2013
Dallas
“Best on Wabash”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

What a lovely evening, fun-time, excellent food and drink and good recipes.
Our daughter and son-in-law and ourselves, attended the Heaven on Seven Cooking Class with the owner/chef, Jimmy Bannos.The class was very interesting, the tips and info, very useful and the evening included all the wine, beer and hurricanes one desire. The hurricanes were to die for, very special and could hit you, like a "hurricane.".
After the demonstrations, eating and drinking, Jimmy was very available for questions and answers and his story in the restaurant business very interesting.The Cajun-Creole restaurant is unique and very affordable and it's unique location worth visiting on the 7th floor of the Garland Building. Hats off to Jimmy and his staff. The class is held the first Friday of each month and reservations are required.

• Visited April 2013
Canada
“Tasty but bring cash”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Heaven on Seven on Wabash is open funny hours - check first before you go. On Saturdays they open until 3pm. Food was delicious. Soft shelled crab po-boy was terrific! highly recommended. Bring cash - they don't accept any other forms of payment. Assume about $20-25 per person after food, tax, tip and drinks.

Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Not my idea of Heaven...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

For years, I had been hearing about Heaven on Seven and it's iconic reputation for serving true, traditional Cajun food. We were recently at the Wabash Jewelery district and decided to pop in for lunch. OK, the location is weird, and the fact that it's on the 7th floor of an old art deco office building is even weirder. But once I entered and saw the old counter seating and all the kitschy New Orleans paraphernalia, I thought, "oh, now I see what all the hoopla is about - this is kinda cool." Unfortunately, the hoopla about the food was unfounded. We started with their famous gumbo, and it was mediocre at best. Even my husband agreed that it was bland and actually had a weird taste, like maybe coffee. We couldn't pinpoint it, but regardless it was unimpressive. I ordered the softshell crab po'boy which I was VERY excited about. But it was an even bigger disappointment. It was simply an overly fried crab on a bun. There was way too much flavorless batter, such that you couldn't taste the crab at all. I tried to doctor it up with three different hot sauces and the side of coleslaw, but even that didn't help. I don't even remember what my husband had - I just remember the disappointed look on his face and his similar attempt to spice it up with multiple hot sauces. In fact, the only good part of the meal was the selection of hot sauces on the table. We found a new one which we liked (Melinda's) and subsequently bought later at The Pepper Pot in Water Tower mall. If you are seeking good, flavorful Cajun food, don't waste your time here.

Visited December 2012