“Hotel Food done just right”

Stetson's Modern Steak + Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Stetson's Modern Steak + Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #224 of 10,076 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Stetson
Description: Discover the unexpected at Stetsons Modern Steak + Sushi. We deliver a non-traditional steakhouse experience in a comfortable urban setting. Flexible portions of thoughtfully sourced natural beef, sustainable seafood and organic produce are crafted into variety of internationally inspired shareable dishes that clearly convey...This is not your typical Chicago Steak House. Dine at one of the best restaurants in Chicago.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Although I'm not usually a fan of hotel restaurants, this one is exceptional! The one and only glitch to our evening was the parking. It would have been nice if when we made our reservation we had been told that you can valet park your car at the hotel and they will validate your ticket for up to three hours of parking. Nice! Free Parking for dinner in Chicago. A deal any way you look at it. Unfortunately the hotel is under some construction and the directions for picking up the car were a bit confusing but of course we did eventually get the car.

Now onto the stars of the evening, the food and the service. Our waiter was awesome. He was super friendly, helpful and professional. We began our meal with the grilled octopus. While the small ends of the pieces were a bit charred the dish itself was excellent. The meat was not chewy but tender and delicate. The plate was well balanced, hitting all the right spots on one's palate, On our waiter's recommendation both my husband I ordered the rib eye steak. Both of ours were done to perfection. We ordered it medium rare and that was just how it came out, not overcooked and not still mooing. The meat had just the right amount of seasoning rubbed into it. You have your choice of sauces to go along with your meat. I chose the horseradish cream and my husband chose the applewood smoked bacon bourbon. I think that we both liked the horseradish cream a bit more, but you have to like that kind of thing. The other was good too but tasty more gravy like to me. As an added treat we were both given a sauce made with fois gras. This was the best sauce yet. It's not even on the menu as an option so I don't know if the chef was just trying out or what was going on. Other tables didn't get it. We both loved it so I hope they put it on as a regular option. As a side we had the asparagus. It was delicious.

In spite of being in a hotel I would look forward to returning here.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I lived in Chicago for 10 years back in the mid-90s...and never had the opportunity to eat at Stetson's. Man, was I missing out. Amazing service, food, wine list...every experience from being greeted at the door to walking out was one of the best experiences I've had. Forget what you think about restaurants located in a hotel. Stetson's really sets the bar. I'm still thinking about the rib-eye steak I had that was cooked to perfection...the flavor...words cannot describe. They have one of the most impressive wine lists, and very knowledgeable sommelier on staff. I wish I could remember the name of our waiter, but he's been there for years and was just a super nice guy. We let him pick our sides...and he picked very well. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

It was cold and we were staying in the Hyatt and had no desire to step out but wanted a nice meal and Stetsons is in the hotel. This is a classic steakhouse and to be honest my expectations were not high.

First of all the design is contemporary and good and the place was busy so it was fortunate that we had booked. Our waiter was knowlegeable and not pushy.

There were good wine choices by the glass which were priced ok. The meat was expensive but that is the way it is in these sorts of restaurants. I had the prime rib and asked for it rare. I would say that it was not really rare but still medium rare. But it was a fantastic piece of meat. It was unbelievably tender and really tasty. The best piece of meat I have had in quite a while. My dining companion had the strip steak and he was over the moon about that.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

The cap steak was one of the best steaks we have had. The spices and tenderness were fantastic. The octopus was delicious and tender. Don't pass this by, it was a surprise to us to have such an excellent steak place in a hotel lobby.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've stayed in the Hyatt Regency each December for business every year for the last 25 years. I've not dined at Stetson's for the last 5 years or so because of other obligations or because it was closed for renovation. The renovated Stetson's is very different than then before with an ambiance that I much prefer--more open space, and modern decor. Service on a Saturday night was prompt and knowledgeable. I opted for an 8oz filet mignon which was cooked to my liking, flavorful and tender. Just the right size. The side dish I chose was the best creamed corn I've eaten in many years. Rich, flavorful, with tender fresh kernels. And the serving was huge, but I enjoyed every bit. Those dishes, wine and a dessert was about $80. That's a bit on the high side, even for Chicago, but not unreasonable for the quality and location right in the hotel. Reservations are important.

Been to Stetson's Modern Steak + Sushi? Share your experiences!