“Grand Surprise”

Stetson's Modern Steak + Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Stetson's Modern Steak + Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #287 of 9,766 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Stetson
Description: Discover the unexpected at Stetsons Modern Steak + Sushi. We deliver a non-traditional steakhouse experience in a comfortable urban setting. Flexible portions of thoughtfully sourced natural beef, sustainable seafood and organic produce are crafted into variety of internationally inspired shareable dishes that clearly convey...This is not your typical Chicago Steak House. Dine at one of the best restaurants in Chicago.
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I had to be dragged to what I considered a "hotel restaurant", as my experience dictates they are rarely good, just convenient. Stetson's proved to be the exceptional rare violation of my rule.

Now in the service industry, I am quite unsatisfied with the service at most places near tourist areas. But Stetson's caters to a small but loyal crowd of city dwellers, supplemented primarily by conventioneers from the nearby Hyatt Regency. Our server was well versed in presentation, courtesy and knowledge of the menu.

We started with Maryland crab cakes and the taste buds awoke. Classic iceberg lettuce was complimented with Maytag bleu cheese (if you never have had this you have not experienced true blue), Cape Cod Sea Scallops with a spring pea and fennel salad, with meyer lemon flavor abounding. The second entree was fork-ready steak accompanied by a double baked potato so rich that neither made it to my plate, save a scant taste. The food was too good to be truly shared even with a loved one.

Room for dessert - you have got to be kidding!

The prices are steep, but not unreasonable for a steakhouse of this quality. Next time you can't get reservations at Jordan's or are told of a wait at Ditka's, try this place. You will wonder what took you so long.

Wild Atlantic Salmon fava bean succotash, horseradish hollandai
Wild Mushroom Ravioli chive and madeira cream, fried vidalia onions

Reviewed July 17, 2012

This Hyatt Regency outlet seems to be a restaurant that has seen better days as a top-quality Chicago steak house. The staff is very pleasant but simply lacks the grace and experience to provide the anticipated level of service. Pricing is a la carte - but odd. A 16 oz ribeye steak was priced at $40 - but the 10 oz version is $39. Huh? The iceberg wedge salad was served with bleu cheese dressing and plenty of chunks of cheese. Nice. But the dressing was served in a funky little bowl without a serving spoon. The steak was cooked perfectly. It was tender and tasty. No complaint. But it was served with an onion ring garnish that was a frozen product right out of the box. Did they think we wouldn't notice? The sauteed spinach was bland and may have come out of a can. All together, the dinner would have been fine - but for $72 per person prior to gratuity - I expect more. There are plenty of better choices for great steaks close by. Choose one of those.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our fabulous experience at the Chicago Hyatt was made even better when we dined at the Stetson House this evening. The food was sensational, the ambience was wonderful and the service unparalled. Everything about the hotel and the restaurant has left us looking forward to our next stay in the great city of Chicago.....nowhere else compares.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

The food at Stetsons is very good but I would not recommend it to someone who is not looking for an expensive restaurant. It is right in downtown Chicago and the porterhouse steak is really delicious. If you do not mind what it says on the bill then I would strongly recommend it but otherwise its a toss-up.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I arrived early and solo, and was the first customer of the night. I got truly excellent service from my waitress and other staff members. The Hyatt lobby is really nice and would be a fun place to have a drink or two before dinner.

The french onion soup was superb, and the mixed bread basket was good. I had the locally sourced sirloin, and it was fine but not in the top tier of steaks I've eaten, and the Bearnaise was not as good as Morton's. It was served with surprise fried onions, though, which I love.

I decided not to order desert, but the waitress brought me some very cleverly-presented chocolate covered strawberries anyway, and they were quite good.

Overall, highly recommended.