“Not a replacement for the Bongo Room but decent”
Review of Artist's Cafe

Artist's Cafe
Ranked #910 of 9,883 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Diner, Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Reviewed May 30, 2013

After realizing the wait at Bongo room was going to be 40 mins (no surprise), I couldn't imagine my 6 year old was patient enough for the wait. I saw Artists cafe had Red Velvet French Toast. As I walked in I saw a few dishes people had and they looked just pretty average. That should have been a sign. Pretty much all the food we had was I would say average to sub-par for Chicago. Pancakes were about what you would expect at Denny's. Not bad but nothing special. Service was friendly, everything in general was pretty decent just nothing special and when I go to Chicago I have high expectations because there are many good places to eat there.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is so near the Millennium Park, you have to take time to go here for lunch. Our group of 8 including 2 small kids was seated right away, in a separate area of the cafe so the boys wouldn't bother others. Very nicely accommodated. We all had something different, like a Chicago Dog(wow) a Blues Brother Burger (wow), and a Burger withe Works (including fried egg). They have the best skinny fries around, without a doubt. Service was excellent and the price was extremely fair. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Ya gotta go der.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We've eaten here everytime we come to Chicago and find ourselves on S. Michigan Avenue. This mom-and-pop diner is located conveniently close to the Art Institute and within walking distance of several hotels. If you want overpriced eggs and gummy muffins, eat in the hotel restaurants. If you want generous portions of hearty fare, fresh squeezed orange juice and a bottomless coffee cup for a reasonable price, come here. Good menu selection with fresh ingredients, and the servers are very friendly and efficient. Try to get a booth by a window and watch the world go by outside.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This place was incredible. It was this fantastic mom and pop-type of diner with a wide selection on the their menu, including a wide selection of baked goods. The best part about this place was the atmosphere and staff for me. We went in this place twice on our trip to Chicago because we loved it so much. Something about it... just go. They'll treat you like family.

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Okay so I thought my burger was pretty good until I noticed the dead fly on the lettuce. Thankfully I did not put the lettuce on my burger. The fries could have been good but they were cold. Just keep walking by this one.