“Best Orange Juice Anywhere”

Lou Mitchell's Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 9,899 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This time we went late; 10:00 am and avoided the crowd. Good breakfast. good service. good price. A no nonsense place. It's the little things that make the place; donuts while you wait, Milk Duds, excellent coffee, Superb Orange Juice! Their supplier of OJ is undoubtedly the best n the world. Service; all of the gals have a guttural voice unique to Chicago. True diner professionals and quite frankly, they really are the icing on the cake.

The toast was a little slow getting to the table and it was on the burnt side. Still, a very good place.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Nice and close to Essex Inn Hotel!! Loved the food! Did not leave hungry!! Will definitely go back when back in Chicago!!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

came in for breakfast,place very busy,was seated at long table,waited to be served a long time. table next to me had a different waitress they sat down an were waited on,while I sat for quite awhile before getting waited on. Food was the worst I ever ate, eggs were mushy,hashbrowns somewere burnt or raw,never got a refill on coffee. when I ask for my bill the waitress gave me the bill with all the people that were setting at the table next to me.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We read about this diner in the Chicago travel book that we had, and wanted to an experience an old style diner.

It was hugely busy, and obviously very popular. It was firstly off putting though rubbing elbows with the people on the next table. The tables were more or less shared and felt odd reaching past people you don't know to grab some butter.

In saying that, this added to the experience.

I ordered pancakes and an omelet, a few cups of coffee too.

Whilst the portions did not look huge, I could not finish. The orders typically come with fresh bread of your choice. The service was friendly and well organised despite being very busy.

We walked a long way to get here and were not disappointed. We would return if we were in the area.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

read the good reviews, did not have to wait but:
the staff was unpleasant: First the waitress, who brought us to our table (she put the menue on the table without saying anything more and ignored us while going further) and later our waitress: we had to wait for our drinks (got our food first) and later for the ketchup we asked for. Waitresses were talking with each other and forgot us.
Food was Ok, but nothing special.
Shakes were very ( a bit to) creamy.