“A Must Place for Breakfast In Chicago”

Lou Mitchell's Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 9,802 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Lou Mitchell's has been open since the 1920's and is a classic place to go for breakfast when you are in Chicago. Next time you are in Chicago you must experience this Chicago tradition.

It is always crowded. You will probably be seated with others at a long table. You will enjoy their large and wonderful skillet servings. Their omelettes served with fried potatoes are terrific. The best part is being seated around several others enjoying their breakfast and of course the Milk Duds (a Lou Mitchell's tradition). A must place to try.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We asked our hotel valet for a "local breakfast place" at 11am and were lucky enough to stumble upon Lou Mitchell's. It was very crowded so we thought "it must be really good..." and we were not disappointed.

Despite the crowd, we were seated within 10 minutes, and were handed Milk Duds and donut holes to snack on while waiting. We ended up in a booth which worked out great. The large tables in the middle of the restaurant are full of customers about an elbows distance from one another, so you feel real "cozy."

Our server (Virginia??) was hysterically funny and very friendly. She kissed and hugged my husband prior leaving. She made us feel like we'd just eaten in her home and that we'd been life long friends. The coffee was hot and strong! The freshly squeezed OJ, delicious.
My husband's plate was loaded down with eggs, hash browns, bacon, pancakes and a muffin with homemade marmalade (yummy!) I loved the eggs benedict..

We got to hear stories about the celebrities and politicians that frequent Lou's. I looked around at other customer's plates and everything I saw looked great ( to include the milkshakes). This would be a great lunch stop as well. I only wish we'd discovered it a few days earlier. We'll be back!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a must if in Chicago - it is a Chicago institution and I just ate it up (literally and figuratively). As soon as I sat down I felt I was sitting down at a large family gathering - the communal tables int he middle helped with that atmosphere. We order the pecan waffles, veggie omelet, apple and cheddar omelet and plenty of thick rye toast. The coffee was nice and hot, definitely not the world's finest coffee - but still decent. I dined on a Sunday morning when the Bears were playing and over the microphone they mentioned the Bears and plenty fans rejoiced, as well as saying happy birthday to a patron - in turn the entire restaurant joined in on the happy birthday jam. The food was good

Reviewed September 22, 2013

this is a real treat, do try it. Friendly service in an historical diner. The food is really good (large portions of course!), and the omelettes are to die for. A great start to a day of sightseeing.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We arrived at Union Station ready for breakfast; and in Rachel Ray fashion asked one of the locals--in this case the porter in the lounge--who did not hesitate to recommend Lou's. The breakfast was more than ample and the food was delish! We had a table outside which made the experience doubly delightful, and the service was spot on. Many were waiting for the freshly baked goods which were pretty much plucked by the time we finished our delicious meal. We hoofed it back to the Lounge and caught a few winks before our train arrived. Lou Mitchells? Do not pass this one up!.