“Begin Route 66 with a hearty Breakfast”

Lou Mitchell's Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 9,812 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Started Route66 with a hearty breakfast here at Lou Mitchells. Place was very busy, service wasn't great but good. Breakfast was filling as you would expect in America.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Lou Mitchell's seems a local cult favorite, so I tried it for a Sunday morning breakfast. They bake their own breads and pasteries, and sell all manner our souveniers.

The place got busy early, but the service and diner like atmosphere (booths, counter seats, tables) and speedy servers moved things along well. Most of the breakfast items arrive in a skillet, and my eggs and meat were fresh, cooked exactly as ordered, and tasty. The coffee was also quite good. My bacon and egg breakfast with potatoes, toast, and coffee came to a reasonable $12 with tax included.

I'd readily come back again.

1  Thank Fontek
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were greeted with a doughnut hole. Everyone in our party had something different. Omelette, pancakes, breakfast sand which. Toast was amazing. The orange marmalade was delish. I love places with personality and this place has it as well as superb food.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is where our Route 66 trip began. We started our journey off in this icon of Chicago with a most excellent breakfast. The portions were very good and filling. We loved the fresh donut holes they give you when you first come in the door. There is a reason why this place has been here forever. Next time I am in Chicago, Lou Mitchells will be on the agenda.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Arrived at our hotel very early and one of the desk workers recommended Lou Mitchell's for breakfast. Good move. Portions are huge. Food is quality and the coffee lives up to their expectations. I had a bacon and cheese hobo with wheat toast. I was about to bust after finishing the whole plate.

It is true that you get "doughnut holes" if you wait. Being from the south, it was more like a hush puppy. Service was attentive and helpful too. Can't go wrong.

They do take credit cards as of June 9.

1  Thank Kevin W