“Best Chinese food in the city”
Review of Shanghai Terrace

Shanghai Terrace
Reserve with OpenTable
Shanghai Terrace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #160 of 9,802 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Michigan Avenue
Transit: Red Line - Chicago; Michigan Avenue and Chicago Avenue CTA Bus Routes
Description: Recently ranked the number one "Chinese Restaurant in Chicago" by Zagat, the exquisite Asian decor enhances the intimate atmosphere of this venue, which is unique to the city of Chicago. Seating capacity fits 75 guests with additional seating on the Terrace during temperate weather. Also features an intimate Private Dining Room for up to 30 guests. The Shanghai Terrace offers Eastern skyline views over Chicago, serving Chinese cuisine with an emphasis on Cantonese and Shanghainese specialties.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Great atmosphere and perfectly prepared food to match. I love the prawns as very fresh. The restaurant is always busy, but you never feel rushed.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here during a recent visit to Chicago. Our table was outside on the terrace which was quite pleasant on a nice summer evening. I would call the food "upscale Chinese". The food quality was certainly very good, but I would not call it outstanding. Service was somewhat disappointing - not bad but not particularly attentive. I guess I had higher expectations based on many of the glowing reviews in Trip Advisor !

ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at Shanghai Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear FCBasel,

Thank you for visiting Shanghai Terrace at The Peninsula Chicago and sharing your review. Although we appreciate your comments on The Terrace and food quality, we are disappointed to hear your experience did not live up to your expectations. Additionally, we apologize the service was not attentive.

We would like the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future and to be able to learn from your experience. I hope you will please contact me directly at (1-312) 573-6690 or JisooCHON@peninsula.com.

We hope to welcome you back to Shanghai Terrace.

Warm Regards,

Jisoo Chon, Director of Food and Beverage

Reviewed July 24, 2013

When in Chicago, this is one of my favourites. Food is fantastic, service is perfect even when it is crowded. We had the lobster and the beef, just delicious. The proposed wine was perfect and not to expensive. A sure value already for years. Only minus point, the menu does not change much, but ...why change a winning team?

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Having just moved to town, I made a special point to come to this highly rated spot. Of course, The Penninsula Hotel drenches elegance so it is a wonderful entryway! Winding through the hotel, we found the restaurant tucked away on the 5th floor. The moment we stepped in we were greeted by a host, despite the fact that there was a line. No reservations but that wasn't a problem at 1:00 on a Saturday. We ordered the tasting menu, I got the 'by the sea' and he ordered the 'by the land' assortment. Both were delicious and 'sufficient' in terms of size. You must, must, must save room for the mango, coconut dessert. It was simply the best dessert I have ever had in my many years of tasting sweets! Dumplings were also delicious, next time, will probably just do dim sum. As others stated, very expensive. Lunch for two was $165 which included two cocktails for each of us and dessert. A special occassion meal to be sure!

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The starters were bland, the pork belly main course was well presented and delicious, sadly the beef (which was cooked very well) was tasteless

Had it been half the price we'd have considered scoring better

1  Thank Riddler1

Dear Riddler1,

We appreciate your taking the time to provide your feedback. Although we are disappointed to learn you found the starters and beef to be bland, we appreciate the opportunity to hear about your experience so that we may make improvements.

We would like to share your comments with our chefs if you would please allow us to hear more about your visit and the dishes you ordered. I would appreciate if you would please contact me directly at (1-312) 573-6690 or JisooCHON@peninsula.com.

Warm Regards,