“Would rather eat at Perkins”
Review of Ada's Famous Deli - CLOSED

Ada's Famous Deli
Cuisines: Diner, Delicatessen, Central European
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We only ate breakfast there because we had a free voucher from our hotel, which had bumped our reservation the night before. It was very....plain. We were glad our breakfast was free because it was certainly not a $30 breakfast. Plain eggs, limp toast, and too-crispy bacon. And the people working there were just doing their job.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This restaurant was next to our hotel and was very good. We ordered breakfast which was very good, the staff very friendly and efficient.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I had lunch here. She had a very hard time finding safely gluten-free items on the menu. I found no vegetarian items so I reluctantly ordered the fried fish, which tasted like stale supermarket fish sticks and left me feeling a bit queazy. I could not finish it. It also came with bow tie mac and cheese. A strange combination, two heavy dishes. I couldn't finish it the mac and cheese either as it was pasty and tasteless.

My wife's salad was wet iceberg lettuce with little else. I would not visit again or recommend.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

In Chicago with a friend and both of us in need of a deli fix -- and right there on Wabash we find a deli! Seemed like a sign. We decided to split a corned beef and chopped liver on rye and a side of latkes, pretty standard deli stuff, in my opinion. I'm sorry to say that this should-have-been three-way delight was pretty much a one-way "bleh" experience.

The rye bread, while flavorful, didn't have the "chew" in either the body or crust. Change the color and you'd have white bread. The corned beef was machine sliced very thin. Wha'? It reminded me of Boar's Head. The chopped liver, had there been a bit more on the sandwich, would have saved it, being pretty good although lacking in onion. The pickle was okay, thankfully.

The real travesty, however, were the "latkes" and I put this in quotes because they were pre-formed potato patties (likely frozen) that were bland and tasteless. In my opinion, this was a COMPLETE crime: the word "latke" NEVER should be used on something that looked and tasted like that potato-thing. As neither my friend nor I are able to get deli often, she living in a small town in Michigan and I living in the Land of BBQ (talk about wrecking a brisket), this lunch was a major disappointment. If you're in Chicago and looking for real deli, avoid Ada's "Famous" Deli and move along ...

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went here for late lunch on Saturday, approx 1:30 in afternoon. Very empty, waited very long time for seating, long time for table service & multiple askings for my drink, check, napkins....
Sandwiches were very good, almost good enough to overlook the service.