“Great mexican meal!”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Illinois
Transit: Red Line - Grand Avenue
Description: Frontera Grill serves authentic Mexican Food in a fun, casual & relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Really enjoyed the different choices on small plate menu. Taco's with peppered pork shoulder was favorite. It may not be fair for me to give them a 4 instead of 5, but find it expensive for Mexican food (which I do love!)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,907)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

While visiting Chicago, a friend suggested dinner at Frontera Grill on a Thursday evening. It opens at 5 for dinner. We arrived at 4:35 and a small line had already formed. There were 7 people ahead of us. When we finally got inside we were told there were no tables for 4 available. We were given a buzzer and told to wait in the bar. After about 30 minutes we were shown to a tiny table in the bar area. It was very noisy and crowded and quite dark in the corner where they put us. The server was okay. The food was pretty good. We got guacamole, seafood ceviche and queso fundido for appetizers. 3 of us had the chile rellenos, which were the special for the evening and the other, a vegetarian, ordered the potosinas. While not impressed with the wait or the seating, the food was delicious and worth trouble. You should go once, anyway.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I took my friend here for her birthday last year and would seriously plan another trip to Chicago just to go here. You have to reserve way in advance for Topolobampo, so just do it if you are a foodie. Tables are small and close together, but the menu and the flavor factor is big. We had the best guacamole and margaritas here we ever had anywhere, but beyond that nothing else was something you will ever get in another restaurant. Every dish is a unique twist on something else or just unique. It was one of many culinary adventures we planned on this trip, but definitely the highlight and the one I will remember forever.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

It was nice to return to Frontera yesterday for lunch. As in past visits we thoroughly enjoyed the chef's creative blend of favors and textures. Despite the luncheon crowd, the service was prompt and friendly. Always rewarding to visit those restaurants who achieve a level of consistency unmatched by rivals.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I read a lot of reviews of what to order and what was great and also that they pushed the tasting menu. Well, we got pushed into the tasting menu. My wife did the Yucatan and there were some tasty dishes but I did the "classics" and it was awful. Service was also awful. The summer margarita was the tastiest thing I had all night, and I am a huge, huge fan of Mexican with all its intricate tastes and spices. Maybe I should have done the Mole menu. I feel the popularity of the restaurant could possibly have destroyed the quality. I was still intrigued to try Frontera, but really felt bad after paying the bill at Topolo.