“Expensive”

Frontera Grill
Ranked #70 of 9,531 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Illinois
Transit: Red Line - Grand Avenue
Description: Frontera Grill serves authentic Mexican Food in a fun, casual & relaxed atmosphere.
Illinois
“Expensive”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We always wanted to try this place but we were disappointed. It very small and loud. So no romantic dinner here. The food was good but not outstanding as some would say. Corkage fee was to expensive.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank IllinoisCookie

• Finnish first
Irvine, California
“Amazing Food”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

You will most likely experience a long wait here, but it is worth it. Definitely the best mole and guacamole I have ever had. And the margaritas and specialty mixed drinks are delicious. We waited in the bar for nearly two hours for our table and didn't mind a bit. The restaurant is beautifully decorated in fun colors and art and has a lively, vibrant atmosphere. For Top Chef fans, it's a must-visit location because of Rick Bayless. For fans of Mexican food, another must-visit because Rick Bayless knows what he is doing. Loved the experience and can't wait to go back.

• Visited March 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“A PIONEER NOW ARROGANT & PREEMPTORY”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my fourth time eating at Topolabampo, and unfortunately it has been a downhill run. My initial experience at this Rich Bayliss creation was incredible, with unique & scintillating flavors of Mexico teasing my taste buds. However, as other chefs copied this pioneer of gourmet Mexican cooking, it seems as if the kitchen stopped experimenting & began resting on its laurels. Now with "Top Chef" fame, Topo seems very taken with itself. Our server was supercilious, arrogant,& preemptory. Rather then listening, he announced. This took the fun away & dining should always be a good time. My mole was excellent, but very expensive & not worth the service "without a smile."

• Visited March 2013
Warner Robins, Georgia
“Fabulous Experience”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had lunch reservations and we were promptly seated. We ordered the blood orange margaritas and they were tasty. Since it was lunch I just ordered the trio Ceviche and the tortilla soup. My friend got the cucumber pineapple salad and the trio ceviche. The soup was one of the best things I've ever had and I can't believe how affordable it was. We were treated to a complimentary guacamole. Everything was fabulous and I was stuffed. Our waiter was excellent and attentive. I would go back the next time I visit Chicago and plan for dinner next time. Worth the price.

Visited March 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Overated”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

When we went to Frontera Grill, I had high expectations due to the good reviews that I have been reading. I was very disappointed. I love Mexican food so I was happy with the menu but I didn't like anything that I ordered. Everything was extremely spicy and bland. I don't like very spicy food but even my husband that likes it was not impressed. We are not coming back! The service thought was really good!

• Visited May 2012