“Great atmosphere and great gumbo!”
Review of Heaven on Seven - CLOSED

Heaven on Seven
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Rush and Ohio
Yorkshire, England
“Great atmosphere and great gumbo!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

It's true. You gotta try the gumbo!This was my first taste of gumbo and I wish that I had got the big bowl and not the little cup. It's a spicy stew with Andouille sausage (made from pigs bottoms!) and rice. Not what I expected at all. I think I expected it to be more soup like. Very tasty and left me wanting more but the second course was already on route.
My husband had delicious Louisiana crab cakes and I had fried green tomatoes and crab. Sadly the tomatoes were covered in a breadcrumb batter but once I got rid of that, they were delicious.
They have 12 different hot sauces for you to try. 'Smack my a ss and call me Sally' was too hot for us but still our favourite, just for the name!

Dallas, Texas
“Taste of New Orleans!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I came to this restaurant on my cousins recommendation. He "heard" it was good and it was one block from my hotel at Rush/Ohio on NE side.

I had a bowl of Gumbo and a side salad with honey jalapeño dressing. Outstanding food .... The gumbo was just like what I had in New Orleans - spicy, Andouille sausage, good texture and flavor with just a little white rice.

Atmosphere is great too! Blues music and busy, even on a Tuesday at 6:00 pm....not loud though.

If you are in Chicago and need a New Orleans food fix, this is the place to go.

• Visited July 2013
Boone, Iowa
“I Died and ended up on Heaven on Seven!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Best Cajun food I have ever eaten. Hub and I both got the buffet which they serve to you family style at your table. The Gumbo is to die for; the Hoppin' John, Collard Greens, Jambalaya, Beans & Rice are mouthwatering and they'll just keep bringing you more. The fried catfish and chicken were good but not WONDERFUL, however....the sauces they gave you to dip them in made up for the blandness of the two main meats.

We split the deep dish Pecan Pie and it was the best we ever had.

We'll go back to Chicago just to go to this place alone!

1 Thank Azona50036
Ville D'Avray, France
“Best Cajun North”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I've been dying for crawfish & wandered by this little gem. You'd be disappointed if you were looking for real cajun spice and the mudpuppies were obviously not fresh put of the swamp. But, they did the trick & were reasonable. Meal included the nicest gumbo. Order a jalapeño cheddar corn muffin and an Abita. Close your eyes & pretend. Service could have been better - they were "swamped" but that just attests to how great a place this is!

Silverdale, Washington
“Eh...”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The last time I visited here, I was less than impressed. My entree was pretty bland, which shouldn't ever be the case with Cajun food. The gumbo, however, is a must try.

Visited December 2012