“Excellent service, great crab cakes”
Review of Shaw's Crab House

Shaw's Crab House
Reserve with OpenTable
Shaw's Crab House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 9,929 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: State St.
Description: Big and Bustling, Shaw's Crab House stands as a monument to fish and seafood. Besides the usual popular dishes, Shaw's management team is passionate about presenting treats such as Pacific salmon, fresh king crab, and smelt during their short seasons. Reservations made through Open Table will be for Shaw's Main Dining Room. If you would like to dine in the Oyster Bar, all seating is on a first come first serve basis.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The crab cake appetizer was delicious - not a lot of filler, great amount of crab, not greasy. Smaller than I'd like...but probably because they tasted so darn good and I wanted more. They were on the smaller side compared to what I've had elsewhere.

All portions seem to be smaller at Shaw's, but tasty and you didn't leave feeling unsatisfied. The bread is sourdough and oh so yummy! I had the salmon for dinner and it was ok. Not the best salmon I've had.

We had my son with us (11 year old) and we ate at the Oyster bar to avoid a long wait. Every server was so attentive to him - they really do a great job of catering to the kids.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,738)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I went to Shaw’s Crab House on my last visit many years ago and couldn’t wait to go again. We booked last minute and could not get a reservation until 8:45 pm on a Sunday night but like last time I was not disappointed. We started off with a shrimp appetizer and ordered the surf and turf as our main. Both the steak and lobster tail were done to perfection. Just melted in my mouth.

Not only was the food good but the service was impeccable as well.

The price is not cheap but the food and experience is definitely worth it.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Living on the East Coast and eating shellfish in Chicago, one might think I am nuts, but alas, Shaw's was as good as any dedicated Seafood restaurant in the NYC area that I have tried. The King Crab "nuggets" appetizer was to die for and completely shelled twin tails left for nothing but complete satisfaction. My wife has an incredibly tasty piece of salmon. Great, great meal.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Shaw's Crab House is a Chicago restaurant, part of the Lettuce Entertain You group, and is a destination just east of Michigan Avenue on Hubbard Street.
We entertained a group of important customers for dinner during a trade show week, and the customers (all from a small town in the Midwest) had a blast experiencing very fresh fish options!
We started with the Hot and Cold mixed seafood appetizer plates, and they were an amazing assortment of seafood delights. Shrimp cocktail, oysters, lobster tail, and lots of other goodies were spread across the table in a tower format, and the dining began.
The service was very good, with our server providing knowledgeable advice on dinner and wine selections. He suggested a LESS expensive wine from Oregon than the one I was picking, and gave it an appropriately high rating.
Our customers did not all order seafood, but those that did were very happy with the flavor and presentation. I ordered several side dishes for the table, and it was way more than enough.
The atmosphere at Shaws is upbeat and nautical fun, mixed with Chicago flavor. It was the perfect spot to entertain good customers.
The price for a table of 8 was not cheap, but it was well less than what we would have spent at one of the high end steak houses nearby.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

This was my second time at Shaws and probably the last. We checked in (had reservations) and were told nothing. We just stood in the lobby for 20 minutes til they called our name. Dining room extremely warm - uncomfortable!

Ordered cup of bisque - no seafood in it! Didn't finish it. Small but expensive portions. Side dishes lukewarm.

Service was good. Gave us complementary dessert sampler. Nice touch on an otherwise lackluster dining experience.

Been to Shaw's Crab House? Share your experiences!