“As Good As It Gets!!!”
Review of Everest

Reserve with OpenTable
Everest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #174 of 9,929 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Congress & Van Buren
Transit: Right off the LaSalle/Van Buren stop of the Brown Line Trains.
Description: Located in an unforgettable setting on the 40th floor of the Chicago Stock Exchange, Everest allows you and your guests the opportunity to take in the glittering skyline while enjoying Chef/Proprietor J. Joho's world-renowned French cuisine, consisting of the finest seasonal fare, local specialties and organic ingredients. Our luxurious private dining rooms come alive with attentive service and fulfilled requests including personalized menus, customized décor, music, audio-visual presentations and displays. As the only Chicago member of the prestigious Relais & Châteaux, Everest accommodates any size affair, from an intimate dinner to a 175-guest soirée.
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I knew Chef Jean Joho from Lyon so I was excited to finally visit this temple of French cuisine. It did not disappoint; it dazzled and seduced. Taking the elevator to the restaurant from the underground parking felt like an adventure in itself. Walking into that fabulous room with views of the city and sunset on a leopard carpet --oh wow!!! I had the pris fixe dinner with wine pairings --oh wow!!! The only meal comparable was at The Ritz in Paris. Portion size was perfect for the five course meal and each wine TRULY complimented each dish. The maitre d" so enjoyed my pleasure and excitement that he spoiled me rotten with attention. The memory of the cheese course still makes me smile. I will always remember that remarkable meal with a golden glow as the sun set and sparkled on the crystal and brilliant flavors flashed across my tongue !

3  Thank Pepper W

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Cannot think of a better place to ring in the new year, than Everest. Amazing food, great service. The snow was swirling outside, but the celebration was extraordinary. A memorable evening.

1  Thank PaulaInDC
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have to hand it to the Melman Brothers (Lettuce Entertain You): they have the restaurant business down to an art, from casual meals to the finest of dining. Everest is the pinnacle (no unintended) of the latter. Chef J. Joho offers spectacular nouvelle cuisine paired with an amazing wine list. They started us with a sextet of amuses bouches, each better than that last, though the asparagus soup was the star. The Maine lobster starter was succulent and heavenly. The prime rib of beef that followed was fork tender and just melted in the mouth. My wife's Dover sole was elegant and my son-in-law's venison was bold, yet not overpowering. Excepting the pear soufflé, which was outstanding, the desserts are otherwise rather ordinary. I did enjoy my cheesecake, however. Be prepared for sticker shock: this kind of gastronomic experience does not come cheap. But, for a special occasion, such as my daughter and son-in-laws nuptials which we were celebrating it is the clear choice in all Chicagoland.

1  Thank Orso52
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I finally had a chance to enjoy Everest. After years of hearing rave reviews about the dining experience, I started this meal with high expectations and I was not disappointed. Everything about the dinner was perfect--each staff member I encountered was pleasant and professional, but without that air of pretentiousness that takes the fun out of an eating experience.

My friend and I both had the 2 starters with an entree and desert. We both had the smoked salmon which had a great flavor and was very high quality. It was not mind blowing, but very light way to start the meal. The amuse-bouche was adorable and also quite tasty.

My second course was the Roasted Maine Lobster in Alsace Gewurztraminer Butter and Ginger. I haven't eaten very few dishes in my life that were this perfect. The dish was cooked so well, the butter reduction was savory but not too heavy, the bits of red roe gave a little jolt of flavor without over powering the subtle lobster. ORDER THIS DISH!!! I would go back again just to have another bite of this dish.

My friend had the Sautéed New York State Foie Gras, Pineapple Quince, Alsace Spice Cake, which she said was exceptional as well.

We both had the Magret of Mulard Duck, Pine Honey, Marinated Turnips à la Colmarienne for our entree. The duck was cooked extremely well. The best part was that some fat was left on the duck--enough to give some extra depth of flavor, but not so much that it took effort to chew it meaning that it still melted in my mouth.

For desert we had the Apple & the Chocolate, both of which were sweet ways to end the meal alongside an espresso.

After the lobster the second highlight of my meal was my wine. I desperately wish I could remember what I drank, but it was a reserve served by the glass and recommended by our waitress. It was a Bordeaux and it was magical.

1  Thank Leslie_Venetz
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Expect a lengthy dinner 3 1/2 hours. Knowing that, enjoy the view from the 41st floor. The restaurant has a "Gatsby" feel to it. The chef has his initials on your serving wear. (cool) All the courses are explained with detail and flair. I loved our head server my only suggestion is that she read the guests a little better and relax if that is the personality of the guests. We felt she was a bit rigid however, extremely knowledgeable and descriptive. Our group were all foodies and appreciate the attention to detail and the effort put into each course. Guys if you want to make an impression with your date, this is an absolute top choice. The uniqueness of the selections as well as the preparation, presentation and view make this a MUST visit in Chicago. Officially, the best Brandy Manhattan I have ever consumed. There were too many awesome food courses to list here. I suggest you look up the menu on line (changes with season) For those of you that think you have had it all, you are mistaken unless you have already been to Everest.