“good food”
Review of Everest

Everest
Reserve with OpenTable
Everest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 10,078 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Congress & Van Buren
Transit: Right off the LaSalle/Van Buren stop of the Brown Line Trains.
Description: Located in an unforgettable setting on the 40th floor of the Chicago Stock Exchange, Everest allows you and your guests the opportunity to take in the glittering skyline while enjoying Chef/Proprietor J. Joho's world-renowned French cuisine, consisting of the finest seasonal fare, local specialties and organic ingredients. Our luxurious private dining rooms come alive with attentive service and fulfilled requests including personalized menus, customized décor, music, audio-visual presentations and displays. As the only Chicago member of the prestigious Relais & Châteaux, Everest accommodates any size affair, from an intimate dinner to a 175-guest soirée.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

i generally prefer indian food.. but on my colleague advice went to this restaurant with my wife... food was good.. dress code is a bit extra.. i would only prefer it if there is some major occasion

Reviewed October 2, 2013

A week or so after dining at this restaurant I am perplexed at some of the critical reviews that have been posted on TA. We eat at many Michelin starred restaurants and this place was outstanding.

As others have mentioned, the location is a little odd, but as we took a taxi and were aware of the need to be escorted by security through the lobby of the stock exchange there was no issue. The ambience is dazzling and reminiscent of the Gilded Age with its yellow walls and mahogany furniture. I can understand why others might think it was outdated but I liked the retro feel. I felt like I was dining in the Titanic's state room.

We opted for the prix fix menus with two appetizers, an entrée and dessert. No need to highlight every single dish, but I will say that each was amazing, as was the amuse bouche. We had the sautéed NY foie gras, roasted Maine lobster with gewürztraminer sauce, the mulard duck, veal medallions with chantrelles, apple butter cake, and the banana terrine. It doesn't sound like a lot of food for the money, but we left sated and very happy. There is an extensive French wine list and we had an Alsacian rose to start, then a Cote du Rhone with the entrees.

Afterwards, they offered to call a taxi for us but we walked. It was late, but the walk back to Michigan and Wacker was safe and took us about 20 to 25 minutes.

I highly recommend this restaurant and am skeptical of some of the other reviews that have been posted. There is no value proposition here - you have to visit knowing that it is going to be extremely expensive, likely around $500 for two. That is the worldwide market price for a comparable dining experience. It is beyond belief that others would write critical reviews on TA complaining about the price when it is so readily estimated ahead of time from Everest's online menus.

2  Thank callmeishmael
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The two things to say about this place is that is only very good food and a nice view from the heights.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our visit to Everest was amazing from the moment we stepped into the elevator to ride up to the GORGEOUS restaurant. The Maitre'D walked me down one step holding my elevated hand (sooo gentile)... and escorted us to our table overlooking the city. I opted for the 7 course dinner with wine pairing, as it was New Year's Eve and our anniversary. Every course was Michelin Star quality and the service was professional and courteous. Was romantic and heavenly.... will definitely return!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Everest a an institution in Chicago -- perhaps one in need of a refresh. The food was outstanding, the wine list stunning. However, the service was less so. (We were told we shouldn't refill our own water or wine glasses, yet more than once they were empty without a server to refill -- odd since there were so many service staff.) But while the meal was great, the room is just in dire need of updating. The lighting was never dimmed -- it was as if small aspects of the finer points of service have been dropped over time. Perhaps it is appropriate to the crowd -- but for the same money, we'll try Sixteen or Nomi next time. I hear there are fine views but we were seated far from a window.

1  Thank Renee W