“Good, but...”

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria
Ranked #66 of 9,614 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Long Island, New York
“Good, but...”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I was in Chicago for the first time ever on a business trip. I knew I wanted to sample the local classic. From everything I read and have seen on TV, Lou's was the place to go.

It was good. But eating there made me realize how truly partisan I am to the New York style thin crust pizza.

It really is comparing apples to oranges. Chicago style and New York style are just not anywhere near the same thing. So you eat and enjoy the style you like most.

What I did appreciate was the tomatoes on the pizza. This is not a "sauce" but rather just really good crushed tomatoes spread across the top. I had the Chicago Classic. It was good but again, just my personal taste, it's not the pizza I love. But any true regional food junkie must make a pilgrimage to this place and try it out for yourself.

So in the end I guess I'm conflicted. I'm sure this is really good Chicago style pizza, but I will always remain partial to the New York style.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dayton, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Patience is a Virtue”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Good pizza, not bad pricing, but the wait is atrocious. Don't look for too many healthy options, just bite the bullet and eat a deep dish! Pizza was a very good size.

Visited March 2014
Parkersburg, West Virginia
“True taste of Chicago”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were only in Chicago for a few days, so I wanted to make sure I got the best Chicago deep dish possible. After looking at reviews and asking friends, the consensus was Lou's. We started with a salad, which was pretty good, and then got a small of the "Malnati Chicago Classic", which is sausage on the butter crust. The sausage was a little heavy - it's not chopped up, but rather more like one large sausage patty cooked over the pizza. Flavor-wise it was good, but I wish I had tried something with more toppings. We finished off with the deep-dish chocolate chip cookie dessert, which was absolutely awesome. If we go back to Chicago we'll probably stick to Lou's, although I would try different toppings on the pizza.

• Visited April 2014
east london
“Different to pizza as we know it!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This was our first meal in Chicago on a 10 day trip in the US

Had to wait for a little while at the bar but that was fine and we had a drink. Then got a table and a polite waitress. Started with a chop salad and chicken wings which were both really nice.

Then we shared a small pizza as recommended by the waitress. The crust was very nice but i don't think the pizza itself was as nice as we were expecting. We knew it would be a lot of cheese but it was just too much and was all a bit too chewy and hard to eat.

We were a little disappointed with the pizza itself but that's our taste and everything else was very good.

Visited April 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Try the pasta! ”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Ok I'm a HUGE Lou's fan when it comes to their deep dish pizza, I mean truly there is no other place that even compares in my opinion. With that being said, I was able to pry myself away from the pizza one night to try their "penne ala manati" and OH. MY. GOD! It is the most amazing cheesy creamy fattening dish of deliciousness! Without a doubt this is my new favorite pasta dish ever...tear yourself away from the deep dish and try it!!