“Great Deep Dish”

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria
Ranked #69 of 9,548 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“Great Deep Dish”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Our food was great, our server on the other hand was not. She was rushing us out the door instead of making conversations with guests who had just flown in to a new city and looking for recommendations. We felt rushed the whole time since we were there an hour before closing and she was clear that she was annoyed. Would love to try it again and aim for better service.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Disappointed in the pizza but salad was great”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The first night of our trip with our group of 6 was planned to be Chicago pizza and drinks at our hotel to lay low for the evening. We decided to try Lou Malnatti's because if was recommended to us. We ordered 2 pizzas and a Malnati's special salad in a family size. The good news is that the salad was fantastic. The not great news is that we were all so disappointed in the pizza taste that we gave away one of our pizzas to the hotel staff. The sauce was bland and if the sauce isn't right, it messes up the whole thing. We wish we would have gone with the suggestion of one of the ladies on our trip to do Geno's East. Luckily, we tried it later in the trip. So if you're trying to decided which place to get your Chicago style pizza from, this is not it. I have heard that one of the other locations is better. I'm not going to find out.

Visited May 2013
San Antonio
“Awesome pizza”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Being from Texas I dont get Chicago style pizza very often but this is the best I have ever had! Hopefully I will be able to return again next year. Staff was fantastic as well. Superb experience!

Visited August 2013
Discovery Bay, California
“The only deep dish I'll eat”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was visiting from California on a family business trip. I finally got to visit Lou Malnati's to try their original deep dish pizza. I don't even like deep dish, but after watching some old program about Chicago deep dish on the Travel Channel, I felt compelled to make an effort to visit Lou Malnati's. The wait on a Friday evening was a nightmare, but they suggest you preorder your pizza while waiting for a table. Their estimate for wait time was spot-on. Once seated, the classic deep dish was served promptly and it was divine. However, you better like sausage! If I had more time in town, I'd be tempted to try their other pizzas. The crust is perfectly flaky without overloading your taste buds with bread dough. I'd order for overnight shipping to California, but the shipping cost is a bit too high. This is an absolute must stop while visiting Chicago! My wife wanted to try their biggest competitor in Chicago and we can't give them the same praise we give Lou Malnati's.

• Visited August 2013
Toronto, Canada
“My first Chicago Style Pizza - Good Exposure to the Phenomenon”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was in Chicago visiting a good friend and to almost specifically try out Chicago's famed deep-dish pizza. After doing a bit of research, and based on his recommendation, we went to Lou Malnati's.
The line-up, apparently as usual, was ridiculous. I was pre-warned though, so I had a little bite to eat before we left the hotel.
Sure enough, about an hour and a half later, we were escorted to our table by a really nice, if loud waitress. She was very funny and had that 'meh whatever' demeanor to her.
The atmosphere of the place could not be properly judged, neither can the decor; there were human beings surrounding us every which way.

After scanning the menu, I decided to go with a large deep dish pepperoni. I normally get creative with my pizza toppings, but I was really there for the authenticity; the waitress agreed that that's what I should be trying anyway. She started walking away when my friend and his lady friend stopped her, and informed her that that large was just for me. She warned me not to do that, but I neglected her warnings; a challenge ensued! She challenged me to finish the pizza on my own, and she would pay for the second medium pizza (that my friend ordered) from her own pocket. I accepted!

Poor thing didn't know what hit her. I -of course- finished the pizza, and had a couple of slices from my friend's pizza. They got a vegetarian pizza with bellpeppers and mushrooms and onions (if I recall). Obviously, I didn't let the poor waitress pay because I felt bad. She did comp the drinks though, which was very sweet of her.

The pizza itself was quite good! Taste wise, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very well made, and the toppings were delicious. If you're a fan of deep dish pizza, this is an excellent choice. I, however, was not a fan of the style unfortunately, and much rather prefer a regular pan or even thin crust pizza.
Too much dough I think.

Regardless, the restaurant was terrific, and I really enjoyed the service and the food.

• Visited October 2012