“Good food, but not worth going out of your way for”

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria
Ranked #116 of 10,076 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Malnati's is a nice place, very casual, the food arrives quickly and is pretty good. The menu was a little limited, both in terms of appetizers and beer selection.

Also, it didn't provide the whole "Chicago Deep Dish Experience" we were looking for. I think this probably comes down to personal preference, but my husband and I liked Gino's East better, both in terms of food and atmosphere. If you're in the area and looking for some pizza, Malnati's is a good bet. But if you're from out of town and have one chance to really "experience" deep dish, I would choose another spot.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,176)

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I agree with many of the other reviewers in that this is a deep dish experience for normal appetites. We ordered a medium sausage pizza and ate 1 1/2 slices each which was plenty to keep us full and we didn't feel overly stuffed or the need to take a nap afterwards. The pizza was very fresh and packed plenty of flavor without being overwhelming. The crust certainly stood out and wasn't like that of some of the other places we have tried in Chicago. The service was also friendly and prompt which made our experience that much better. I would certainly go back to Lou's if/when we are in the area.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Enjoyed Uno, Enjoyed Gino's East. If you want to be able to walk and function after scarffing a Chi-town deep dish pie, dine and drink at Lou's. The pies taste fresher. They are much-less filling, due to the comparative lack of cheese. The crust is distinctive and different. When I revisit Chi-town, I will return to Lou's!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Truly our favorite Pizza in Chicago. Thick Chicago style pizza with fresh ingredients. Malnati's salad is terrific too. Don't forget to try the delicious cookie pizza for dessert. Most of the locations get very crowded at dinnertime. Not unlikely to have a 1 - 2 hour wait. But, you can order your pizza ahead to save some cooking time. Food is well worth the wait. Try to go a little early if possible or even order the pizza to go. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

And I'm not a pizza lover. I ordered a salad since I didn't think I would enjoy my meal. We ordered a small Chicago Malnati pizza for the 2 of us and the both of us wished we could have had more. Fresh, fresh, fresh, fresh. It does make a difference. I won't eat any other type of pizza -- just Lou's!