“The Ying and the Yang!”
Review of Blackbird

Blackbird
Reserve with OpenTable
Blackbird is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #218 of 9,883 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: West Loop
Cross street: Jefferson
Transit: Clinton Green Line; 56 Milwaukee Bus; 8 Halsted Bus; 20 Madison
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I was excited to go to Blackbird because of the menu and the named chef! Upon arrival, staff were friendly and the restaurant was busy , noisy and full of energy. The wine list was interesting and full of great choices, however the list is not necessarily in the cellar! Choices include a sampling menu. Descriptions of meal choices are intriguing and staff are very versed in ingredients and presentations. The attention by staff is very good. The mediocre part of the meal was the taste! Very interesting presentation however food was over cooked and tasted bland.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

For $140/per person, this was not the best chef's tasting experience. Each course had its merits but the experience lack the "wow" factor in presentation.. The course had perch , bass, elk, pork collar and chicken ( yes chicken). No vertical foods, just food flat on a plate with minimal attention to details. Where was the artistic influence here???? The highlight was the desert!,,, pumpkin cake with sage, coconut ice cream and poured warm coconut milk. Very tasty! The servers were pleasant, but the person who served our plates was rushed and offered rote recall of each course's ingredients ....

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Great value for prix fixe lunch- $22 for an appetizer/entree/dessert at a Michelin starred restaurant. Portion sizes aren't huge but was filling enough for lunch and definitely pretty delicious and creative combinations. We enjoyed the duck sausage, the beef tartare, and the bread pudding. Service was very good as well and reservations weren't difficult to make. Definitely a good value for a nice lunch in Chicago.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

It was my second visit to Blackbird in a few years. I had an excellent time on my first visit. The food and service was amazing. Unfortunately when I brought my girlfriend to this restaurant who was visiting Chicago for the first time recently, we were underwhelmed.

The food was great and the whole experience would had been exceptional is our server would provide a friendlier service. Don't get me wrong, he and the team of wait staff all delivered our food just like we wanted and provided us clean plates right on time. In my opinion, even if it was peak dinner time, it would have been nice to serve us and not concentrate so much in getting us in and out of the restaurant. It sure felt like robots with no emotions served us. Great food but clinical service. Very unfortunate.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I really enjoyed blackbird for the most part. I like savory desserts, but I found theirs too much so for my palate. Just my personal preference. I thought the room was beautiful and the rest of the meal was terrific.