“Wonderful seasonal food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blackbird

Blackbird
Reserve with OpenTable
Blackbird is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 9,494 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: West Loop
Cross street: Jefferson
Transit: Clinton Green Line; 56 Milwaukee Bus; 8 Halsted Bus; 20 Madison
“Wonderful seasonal food”
Reviewed December 1, 2007

Wonderful seasonal food

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“awesome. wayyy modern. crazy pairings that worked so well.”
Reviewed November 27, 2007

awesome. wayyy modern.
crazy pairings that worked so well.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Love the interior. Very...”
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Love the interior. Very modern. Food was great...tasted good and looked good. What else do you want?

Peoria, IL
“One of the best meals I've ever had.”
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My girlfriend and I finally made it to Blackbird for the first time on Saturday night, and had an 8pm reservation. We got there around 7:45, and the place was packed. We couldn't even sit at the bar, so we went next door to the sushi joint for a drink. We were able to get a seat at the bar when we got back at 8, and then were seated at about quarter after. It was still packed wall to wall. The room is very small, and very loud. They were playing classic alternative rock, like the Cure, New Order, and RadioHead, which I loved, but we were somewhat skeptical of the way the evening started, especially since the bartender wasn't real interested. Once it got started I'd say we had one of the 3 or so best meals we had ever had. It exceeded all of my expectations, despite the fact that I had a cold and wasn't feeling particularly well.

I had the suckling pig appetizer, and my girlfriend had the braised octopus. The pig was incredible. The octopus was the least enjoyed dish all night, but it was still pretty good. For my entree I had the organic pork belly with bbq consume, and she had the muscovy duck breast. I'm sure you can see a pattern developing in my menu choices. Both entrees blew us away. Both were incredibly tender and complex with great textures. The duck was served rare and had incredible flavors with the honeydue and cucumbers. I'd describe the pork belly as basically being the best "pulled pork" I've ever had. The entrees were a really nice size, too.

For desert we had the fig beignets with blackberries and bacon ice cream. I am not kidding. It wasn't the greatest, but it was in fact pretty damn good, and it was incredibly fun to eat. Our server, David, was having a great time with us because he knew how much we were enjoying ourselves. We basically put ourselves in his hands and he took great care of us. I had asked him if I was overdoing the pork thing, and he said absolutely not. I'm glad I listened to him. We also had two different amuse busches on the house, and a complimentary snifter of rum to go with the desert. All in all, I've only had a couple of other dining experiences on par with this one, in terms of both taste and how much fun I had. The only other comparable dining experience I've had recently was at Mario Batali's Babbo in NY this summer. Obviously the two have very different types of food, but both are equally delicious and fun.

1 Thank tdmccarthy
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 26, 2007

We were disappointed with the noisy, uncomfortable, extremely minimalist atmosphere. Although haute cuisine, the food seemed contrived -the bacon ice cream, tasted like bacon and topped off a very expensive mistake. What was strong on style (the designers of the china and of the wait staff clothing are on the menu) lacked in enjoyable food and atmosphere. Sorry, we really wanted to like this restaurant. The positive: the wine list.

1 Thank kiwisun