“Small, delicious, affordable plates”
Review of Avec

Avec
Ranked #10 of 9,882 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Great place, not too expensive and absolutely delicious. The wait was a little over an hour, but since we were already expecting to wait that long, we didn't really mind. Plus, since they call when the table is ready, you can wander off to one of the bars near by. The focaccia was ridiculously good! Service was also great.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We finally made it to Avec and had a very nice fun dinner at a communal table, where we met a very nice couple who were dining next to us. The service was very good and the food good and interesting. Great place for couples or groups. Very energetic!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Loved the cozy, yet vibrant atmosphere. Everything we ordered, family-style was delicious. Try the dates! Do not skip the foccacia with cheese. Wish I had room for dessert. Awesome menu.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a must for anyone who wants to have fantastic, creative food at a decent price.
I love everything about Avec. The food is always fresh, well prepared and delicious.
The salumi plate (spreadable? salumi on the most delicious bread), hanger steak, dates, olives...all must haves.
I really like the small plate options on the menu. Perfect for sharing 2-4 people. Great way to try many dishes and/or for people with a smaller appetite.
The wine list is also a winner. Many bottles at a decent price...a few great selections from $19-29 per bottle makes it a pretty good value.
Service is always great as well.
I love, love, love the ambiance, but it may not be for everyone. It is very loud, communal seating. Everyone is friendly so you can make friends or choose not to. It's really up to you. For those who may not like a bit of a tight squeeze, try going very early or very late.
I think they offer valet, but metered parking isn't difficult in that area.
If you have to wait a while for a table, try walking west a few blocks to Haymarket Pub where you can try some great beer while you wait.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Avec never ceases to thrill. The menu is always drawing from the products at the height of their season coaxed to showcase the utmost flavor. It can be a little loud at times but if that's the price I pay to have food like this at these prices, than so be it. I actually find it more fun that way and I'm always making new friends here.