“Steakhouse with a Twist”
Review of Keefer's - CLOSED

Keefer's
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dearborn Street
Transit: All "L Stops" meet at the State of Illinois, Thompson Building at Clark and Lake Streets. After disembarking the train, proceed two blocks North on Clark Street to Kinzie Street. Make a right and go one block over to Dearborn. The restaurant is on the corner of Dearborn and Kinzie Street.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I were downtown to celebrate his new job. I chose it because of it's convenient location and interesting menu. They have an intriguing mix of classic steakhouse specialties and some eclectic options to change it up. The restaurant was beautiful and lively (also expertly decorated for the holidays). We sat in a booth by the window and were pleasantly surprised at how warm it was. Everything we had from the complementary bread to drinks was exceptional. We shared the dumpling appetizer, I had the filet and he had the special of the night: white fish cooked in parchment paper. It was both the best steak (medium) and fish (moist with no fishy taste at all) we had ever had. The service was fantastic. Our waitress was extremely knowledgeable of both the food and extensive wine selection. She also bought us dessert since we were celebrating my boyfriends new job, which was so kind of her. It is pricey so prepare to spend well over $100-$150 for two, but it is worth it. We will be back!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Mr. Man likes the clubby vibe of steakhouses and a well-made drink. I am a vegetarian. Turns out Keefers is pretty much the perfect date night place for us. We had our holiday dinner there last night and will definitely return. Service: Friendly but not cloying; polished, professional. Ambience: A nice lively buzz - very conversation friendly! Tabletop: Classic steakhouse with a twist in beautiful aquamarine water glasses and carafe. Food: So good. I had the lentil dish from the bistro menu - very well seasoned, very filling. I love a chef who puts thought and care into vegetables. The Mister had the Scottish salmon and an indulgent side of gratin potatoes. The side dish portion was perfect - not steroidal, as is the case with many other steakhouses, not miniscule. Perfect. The check drop was smooth and timely; the ancillary staff (host, coat check, etc) were fantastic. I also love the fact that this is an independently owned restaurant in what seems to be an increasing sea of chain steakhouses in the city.

1  Thank Sammalamma
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Business dinner for two on a Tuesday December evening and 8 degrees outside. Warm welcome very welcome (so to speak?). Good mussels with garlic and white wine, followed by excellenbt by OVER MASSIVE rare new york strip with spinach and mash, cooked to prefection. Service prompt, atmosephere noisy and nostalgic as the Bears had beaten the Cowboys the night before, so too many large tables of noisy men swilling beer, but understandable. Wil be back, Staff know their stuff.

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to Keefer's on Saturday December 7th. Overall, the experience was average. My wife had a Kansas City strip steak while I had the pork chop. We shared a side order of au gratin potatoes and mushrooms. We also had the mushroom soup which was a special for the night. The steak and chop were good--certainly well prepared but nothing extraordinary. Side dishes were a bit smaller than expected and when compared to similar steakhouses. Service was okay too. They seemed to miss on a few things we've experienced at other similar steakhouses. For example, when they served the side dishes, they just places them on the table without serving them to us. While our experience wasn't bad, it didn't make us want to return either.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

It's a great place to for a business dinner, which is what I did. I'm not sure if it would hold up as a date place, as it was a bit boisterous. I had the steak dinner which had perfectly cooked pieces of steak on a HUGE bed of greens. The steak was great, but I found the amount of greens to be a bit over the top. Service was excellent with a friendly and knowledgeable server who helped us.