“fogo de Chao”

Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 9,525 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Latin, Steakhouse, Brazilian, South American
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: W Erie St
Description: Fogo de Chão(R) (fo-go dèe shoun), is an authentic Southern Brazilian steakhouse. In 1979, Fogo(R) began sharing the gaucho way of preparing meat in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Today, our gaucho chefs still expertly grill each of our 20 cuts of meat and offer you continuous tableside service. We invite you to enjoy the delicious preparations of our gaucho chefs along with our gourmet market table, authentic Brazilian side dishes, and award-winning wine list.
“fogo de Chao”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Well known brazilian resturant alwayes busy with so many customers. dinner is perfect time and you will like it. But better to have a reservation in advance. So many variety if food .
For muslims Customers: make sure no bacon is wrapping ur piece of meat. Highly recommended. Have. wonderful Romantic Night :)

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Awesome”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I am a person who is restricted about what meat I am able to eat, much like Kosher, called Halal. So I found that the lamb i was able to eat. So I called ahead and asked if they would do me the favor of NOT marinating the meat in alcohol/wine. They were willing to oblige. I got there and they set aside three different types of lamb for me and the three others I came with. The service was excellent and so was the food. The salad bar was fresh, plentiful, had variation, and tasted great too.

Note: For what you get, you pay for. My bill for two after tip and taxes was near $150.

• Visited September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Be prepared -- Tips that will help you enjoy your visit more”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Everyone should try Fogo de Chao at least once. You probably already know that Fogo de Chao is a fixed price for dinner. Only drinks and desserts are extra. Since this is not a traditional menu service restaurant, I'm going to share more about technique and tips with you rather than focus on the food itself. Information about the sixteen cuts of meat is easily available on the restaurant's website. Since our last visit, I noticed that the restaurant added some coconut haddock to the salad bar -- I suspect to help satisfy the people who like fish. If you are not a meat eater, you have no business walking into this restaurant to begin with!

I would strongly advice that you make reservations at least a week in advance to get your desired dining time. Fogo de Chao is very popular with large groups, and its common to see many tables of twelve in the dining room. They use a somewhat unique (and convenient) bar system. Once you check in for your table, you are given a reservation slip of paper which you present to the bartender while you wait for your table. No money needs to change hands at the bar because the bar drinks are automatically recorded and transferred to your dinner check. If you do have to wait, and you probably will even with a reservation, be certain to try the Fogo de Chao drink special, the Brazilian Caipirinha. The bar also provides the customer with complimentary warm dinner rolls, a sort of a popover. But I strongly advise you not consume too many. A huge, huge meal awaits you. Once seated for dinner the fun begins. The restaurant atmosphere is vibrant and noisy and its easy to get caught up in the energy of the place. Its important to remember that you are in control. I've learned from repeated visits to take very, very small sampling of the salad bar, only the very few items l enjoy the most, and then only about a coupe tablespoons worth. Don't be tempted by the many, many choices. Just take a couple very small tastes and quit. There is too much food yet to come once the table service starts. Make certain you've placed your drink and wine order before you flip your coasters from red to green and also make certain your salad bar plates have been cleared.

As soon as that coaster is flipped to green, the race begins. I like to create the same pace that I would experience in a traditional restaurant. So I enjoy the sampling of the salad bar and have my wine service delivered long before I let them start the meat and side dish portions of the meal. Once I've had a chance to relax, have my wine poured and have my salad bar plates cleared, I make certain that both my dinner guests and I are ready for the fun to start. We all signal to one another to flip the coasters and the very adroit staff sees almost immediately its time to deliver the meats and side dishes. Here's a little known fact about Fogo. The sides consist of mashed potato, breads and fried plantains. Too much meat and starch for my tastes. However, at your request, the kitchen will bring out a green vegetable side as well. You simply need to ask your server for it. It took me two trips to learn this. I know ask for some grilled asparagus, broccoli and green beans to be delivered. There is no additional charge for this -- you simply need to learn to ask for it. Slow these Gauchos down! You need to take control. Once you've got a couple cuts of meat on your plate, flip your coaster back to red and take some time to enjoy what's on your plate. If you don't, they'll just keep coming with more and more and more meats. I like rare meat. Don't just accept what's on the skewer because that's whats there. Ask for the doneness you prefer. If you don't get to sample a meat you particularly wanted, be certain to ask for it. The sides will get cold and they will happily replenish them at your request. If you don't like a particular cut of meat, don't eat it. Just ask for a clean plate and start fresh. If you follow these simple tips and learn to create a relaxed, rather than hurried pace, you will enjoy your evening at Fogo de Chao much more.

While we sat enjoying our meal several tables around us turned over at least twice. Clearly first time visitors are hurried through the experience, and I don't think they enjoy the meal nearly as much.

• Visited November 2013
“GREAT!!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

i like this place they had delicious drinks its nice and clean youlL have ppl walking in there with gym shoes when its not really a fancy place but gym shoes? not really.... but it is a nice place to go the location is perfect. the food.... not my personal favorite but for those carnivores its perfect.... not too noisy but not quiet. very clean. Would go back in the far future. Oh and the salad bar i didnt try... but it did look to die for.

• Visited December 2012
“Incredible !”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Incredible churrascaria ! Great salad selection and amazing
Meats ... Had a great time here..

I think Fogo may just have the best salad selection of the lot

• Visited July 2013

Been to Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse? Share your experiences!