“Very nice”
Review of Bandera Restaurant

Bandera Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 9,530 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Tecumseh
“Very nice”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Bandera was my first choice because it was so close to my hotel and yet not nearly as expensive as the restaurants in my hotel. I walked in not sure what to expect, it was very dark inside. I was seated right away and a couple of wait staff came by soon after. Very nice staff, very attentive, but high traffic with staff going through the upper section where I was seated. It was a little pricey but the food was very tasty. Overall I enjoyed this restaurant.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Wisconsin
“Great restaurant on Michigan Ave.”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were in town for a business trip and were looking for a convenient place near Michigan Ave. on a Monday evening. After reading other reviews, we settled on Bandera. What a find. The atmosphere is fantastic - with a live duet of jazz music the whole evening. The restaurant has a very warm feel to it and overlooks Michigan Ave. The place was hopping even on a Monday evening, so reservations are probably a good idea.

Our waiter was very good, and the service was great. They had a special appetizer of grilled artichoke. I highly recommend it when they have it. I had a grilled ahi tuna and a salad. The tuna was grilled perfectly - medium rare, and flavored very well. The asian salad that I had with it was full of flavor. I highly recommend it.

The menu had a wide range of offerings, and everything looked great and our whole group enjoyed it.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is almost an excellent restaurant. It is on the 2nd floor, not obvious from the street and not a tourist hot spot, (all good things). A little pricey but compared to Jordan's Steak House, at the end of the block, a great deal. The reservation system is a little funky. I called at 2 on a Tuesday to make reservations for dinner but nothing was available within 90 minutes. However they save room for walk ins. I called at 6:00 from the Sheraton, (10 minute walk) and was told no problem. We got there and had a 70 minute wait or first come first serve to eat at the bar.

We got two bar seats in about 15 minutes. Food was very good, the trout was a touch overdone, but that may be more me than them. The ensemble playing soft jazz were excellent, unfortunately hard to hear from where we sat at the bar. Drinks were well made, not cheap but in line for what you would pay for a cocktail on the Miracle Mile, (Michigan Ave.)

I realize they are a chain but it was Chicago cool. Crowd was adult, well dressed and had a good buzz. The restaurant is fairly modern, with low lights and comfortable atmosphere. This was a business dinner and my guest, (from a small town) felt like he was eating in a restaurant for folks in the know.

Menu is not large which is fine with me, do a few things well not everything OK. I added them to my list of come again for next trip to Chicago.

Chicago
“Reliable and Wonderful”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Bandera has been one of our favorite restaurants for many years, although we tend to avoid it when it's crowded. The food becomes rushed and lacks the passion that we see come through on weekdays and during soft lunch hours. The cornbread is as amazing as every review says it is. And the chicken is superb...(although I prefer how they used to serve it as a sandwich). Visitors can expect low lighting, a partially open kitchen, a vocal crowd, and food that fills them up.

• Visited May 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Very pleasant!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Convenient location (in between Intercontinental and Marriott), competitively priced (for a Down Town restaurant), good quality food, and a pleasant ambience. The menu is small - which is a good thing, in this case - and all members of my party were pleased with their dishes.

• Visited November 2013

Been to Bandera Restaurant? Share your experiences!