“2nd floor gem”

Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Reviewed May 28, 2013

jazz trio on Sat eve was GREAT We were able to have an important conversation with music.We didn't expect it but it sure made the evening special. Everyone in our party enjoyed the dinner. Took longer than we expected so allow extra time.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Bandera is upstairs on Michigan Ave. in Chicago. It's not a huge space, but has a large bar area, and live jazz combo playing which limits conversation but is a special treat. We arrived at our reservation time and were seated immediately. Our waiter was friendly. My husband ordered the special soup which was a variation on chili with chunks of chicken, which was thick and delicious and spicy. Then he had the trout which was divine and buttery. I ordered the macho salad, which was the best salad I've ever had. It consisted of huge chunks of their rotisserie chicken, huge chunks of avocado, huge chunks of goat cheese, dates, nuts and corn, with a minimum of greens compared to most salads that are mostly greens with a smattering of the highlights. There was a little kick of spice in there, perhaps in the corn, I'm not sure. It was wonderful. We didn't have room for dessert, but they looked good. (My only criticism is that our waiter brought our check over without even asking if we wanted coffee or dessert, but since we didn't it wasn't a problem, but obviously they wanted a quick turn.) We look forward to returning often since we live nearby.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our party of 4 enjoyed lunch here as sort of a respit from the hectic feel of downtown Chicago and Michigan Ave.
I wasn't particularly impressed with the recommended skillet corn bread. i found it very dry. But I was impressed with the servers suggestion of flat bread as a dairy free alternative for my wife to enjoy.
Though the lunch menu selections were a bit limited, our party found the macho salad to be delightful, the BBQ ribs tasty, but a bit too fatty and the seared tuna sandwich refreshingly delicious.

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Has a lot to offer, but outside of the view (if you are lucky enough to get a table with the view) it doesn't have any other WOW factor. Food selection was varied and everything our group had was very good. But as Chicago goes, just another restaurant.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

You could do a lot worse than Bandera. The bar and restaurant were busy with locals and visitors but the staff still went out of their way to accommodate us. The bar staff came out from the bar to ask us if we wanted a drink/appetisers while we waited for our table. Good for business but exactly what we wanted too. We had a great table near the window and our waitress was friendly and engaging. The ribs with barbecure sauce were THE best I have ever had. My colleague ordered a tuna salad and it was really unusually done - but with great, fresh flavours. The menu is only quite small but I think that's a good thing - from what I could tell - everything they did - they did well. We had some amazing desserts to share. I was away with colleagues and they didn't even flinch when we asked for seperate bills - I don't know if it's a US thing. Oh - and all the time there was some really good live jazz playing,