“Hawaiian Outside of Hawaii”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #246 of 10,080 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Corner of Superior and State Street.
Transit: EL train stop 1 block north at Chicago and State.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Any warm evening in Chicago is always nice! This evening I spent with my daughter and granddaughter. We had an enjoyable time. My daughter had the Coconut Shrimp and enjoyed it. She especially like the Scallops. I enjoyed the prie Fixe Meal with the small Petit Filet even well done it was not over cooked. The children's menu came with an appetizer and dessert. It has more selections than on Holidays. The place was crowded for a Thursday but service was great. Looking forward to my next visit. Almost as good as in Hawaii.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We ate here for a nice dinner on a Friday night. We did have a reservation but, they weren't crazy busy when we went, as it was a late dinner. We were greeted by the hostess and seated by our server. All of the staff was very pleasant and helpful.

When we were seated we were given some time to look at the menu, but our server was extremely helpful. They brought Edamame as a started, which were delicious, and we ordered a bottle of wine.

We started with the Maine Lobster Dim Sum, which was phenomenal! It is an absolute must when you go! For dinner I had the Crab Dynamite Mahi Mahi, which was also very good! It does have a little heat, but it was great! My boyfriend had the short ribs, which he said was excellent as well. We both commented that the portion sizes were pretty well sized and worth the prices.

We ordered the Chocolate Souffle, on the recommendation of our server. She did tell us to order it early, as it takes some time to bake. We ordered it at the beginning with the rest of our food, at it came out hot and delicious!

If we had one complaint, it would be that it took longer than we thought it should have to get our meals out, but we didn't mind too much as it gave us time to talk and drink the bottle of wine we ordered.

We would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants a nice night out! It wasn't too loud, and the staff were very helpful and professional and made our evening great!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a later reservation on Saturday July 6th.
We started off with the Coconut Shrimp and it was ok. Honestly, I've had better. The sweet chili sauce tasted like it came pre made...I would expect something more exotic than that typical sauce. My husband enjoyed his tempura battered pork belly with orange sauce.
My entree the butterfish was excellent and my husband said his ahi tuna was excellent. The best he's had.
We had the pineapple upside down cake for dessert which was excellent!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was a beautiful July evening and we chose to dine outside at Roy's. This was not our first visit to Roy's, but our first one in Chicago. We felt like we were back in Hawaii with the freshest seafood being served, beautifully presented and so very, very tasty. We ended our dining experience with their fresh pineapple upside down cake with coconut ice cream!!! Scrumptious!!!!

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Roy's does not disappoint! After coming back from Las Vegas and a wonderful dining experience at the Roy's Restaurant there, I was ecstatic to find out that there was one back home in Chicago. I had to try it out! First off, the waiters at Roy's are great- they are helpful and very nice. I ordered the Hawaiian sea salt crusted scallops... and it was a gorgeous entree. Honestly, the chef there is magical. Also, if I have one thing to say about Roy's, it is that you MUST order the chocolate souffle. It comes warm and chocolately with raspberry sauce and vanilla ice cream and is stunning. Possibly the best dessert I've ever had! The atmosphere was extremely nice-- cozy, but not too much so, and the lighting was perfect. Overall, you will not regret dining at Roy's. Fabulous!