“Good food, slow service.”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #596 of 9,717 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Corner of Superior and State Street.
Transit: EL train stop 1 block north at Chicago and State.
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Took my Mom here last month for her birthday dinner and we had a party of 5. We all enjoyed our food. I would give it a solid 4 stars. We ordered a variety of seafood dishes and we ordered the steak. Everything was flavored nicely. They even surprised my Mom with a little birthday dessert, the pineapple upside down case was FABULOUS. The only downfall to this place is the service is pretty slow. We got there at 5:30 and we were out past 8pm. The place didn't even start getting busy until after 7. Our server wasn't that attentive, the runner did more work so we gave him a nice tip. I definitely will be back for happy hour.

Jeannie L, Guest Relations Manager at Roy's, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for your review and we're sorry to hear about slow service. We will surely share your feedback with our Ohana in Chicago. If you visit any of our other locations country-wide and need a reservation, feel free to email me directly at jlee@roysrestaurant.com. I will personally ensure that your service will be paced appropriately by making your reservation directly with the manager.

Many thanks for your feedback and have a great week!

Mahalo, Jeannie Lee @ Roy's

There are newer reviews for Roy's

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I took my girlfriend here for her birthday and it really couldn't have gone better.We each had a starter cocktail, and my girlfriend went with a signature drink that the waiter recommended and it was fantastic. To let you know what we had to eat sushi for appetizers, we had the butterfish and original ahi for dinner and a chocolate lava thing for dessert. The food was amazing!!!!!! Each piece just melted in your mouth. I have been to both coasts, fl and New orleans, this place compares to any place. Also, we had another drink, bottle of wine, and dessert spirits. This place is pricey, but for a hands down great meal, impeccable service, and good time I would go here with no worries. I have also heard great things about sitting at the bar, but we did not get to experience that, maybe next time. Lastly, I would recommend this place for any occasion w/o kids, the price is gonna be 50/ person no drinks, w/ drinks depends on you, but is always better.

1  Thank Bigkidguy
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This place is fabulous! It was much more than we expected. We had an appetizer of duck confit dumplings, entrees of sushi and a pork shank and a chocolate soufflé. Everything was delicious! We even got complementary spring rolls. And the drinks (mango mojito and Mai Tai) were fabulous! We had a really great night!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have been to Roy's a number of times and have always been very happy. It really is great for all occasions. It is good for a romantic dinner and it is also good for our pre-teen children. They fly in their fish every day from hawaii. Try the butterfish. It is staggering. Appetizers are intersting and the desserts are excellent.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Wow, what a menu. And everything tastes as good as it sounds. We shared 3 appetizers and 2 desserts. With a couple glasses of wine, it was one of the best dinners ever.
The lobster pot stickers were crispy on the outside, succulent and savory inside. Big chunks of lobster that tasted as if we were on the docks in Maine. Vegetables and spices made the filling just right.
Ribs were falling off the bone tender, with a spicy flavorful sauce.
Lobster dim sum was so good it is hard to ever find words to describe it. Pillowy dumplings with about a claws worth of lobster in each one, with a light frothy sauce that added depth and amazing flavor.
The flourless chocolate cake was to die for, and the key lime pie was beyond perfection.
A great selection of wines by the glass rounded out a perfect menu.