“Underwhelmed at this location....”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #242 of 10,076 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Corner of Superior and State Street.
Transit: EL train stop 1 block north at Chicago and State.
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I went for for an early dinner because of the great reputation and from my the greeting I became suspicious of my future dining experience. At 4 PM on a Saturday night they asked..." Did I have a reservation and the restaurant was empty? Ordered drinks and I requested a vegetarian menu as a saw a listing on the dinner menu. It became an ordeal to get the stir fry tofu option and took over 45 minutes while later tables got served. The server never acknowledged the time lapse and generally ignored us until I flagged her down. When food arrived it was wrong, no apology nor compensation offered. It was not tasty, left the food, walked out as I had a play to attend. My advice, too many other restaurants to visit in the city, no second chances from me.

Jeannie L, Guest Relations Manager at Roy's, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Hello there!

Thank you for your honest review and we're so sorry we did not meet your expectations. We've always done our best to accommodate all dietary requirements and paying special attention to our guests' needs. We know its not always easy for vegetarian diners to find something they like and we often custom create something special based on guest preferences. I'm so sorry this did not happen when you dined with us. We'd love to talk to you if you have time for a chat. What is the best way to connect with you?

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing back.

Mahalo, Jeannie Lee (Roy's Restaurants)

Reviewed December 24, 2012

good dessert
the surf and turf is quite worth its price ~
the seats are little bit crowded
entrees are OK
the light made me feel sleepy but that is fine if you order a glass of wine

Reviewed November 25, 2012

After several days in Chicago with my wife, I was looking for something different and a little more special for our last evening in town. During a conversation with a local I was recommended Roy's and after i had another check on the Internet I made a dinner booking. From the outside it doe snot look very special or trendy but as soon as you enter you feel that this will be a great evening.
Service was excellent form the start and also the various specials of the das were explained well.
The menu itself is not huge but was just right offering enough variations without getting stuck with 10 plus pages of different courses. The quality of the food was really excellent and we enjoyed every single piece form starters to desert. Wine selection was great as well and with the cozy interior the ambience of the place is very nice.
Of course it is not a cheap place but the the overall quality of food service absolutely justifies the higher price point.
In case I have the chance to get back to Chicago, I definitely would go there again.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Went there for dinner. The restaurant was very full and we were glad we made reservations in advance (they were not taking walk-ins that night)

We ordered the lobster dim sum and I really liked it.

Had the Roy's trio of butterfish, mahi-mahi and salmon. The butterfish was amazing, will order that next time. Mahi-mahi and salmon were not bad, mediocre i would say.

The best part of the meal was the chocolate souffle, one of the best dessert I've had in Chicago so far.I could see smoke coming out from the center of the dessert as I poked my fork inside.

Would definitely go back again :)

1  Thank violetcraze
Jeannie L, Guest Relations Manager at Roy's, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Since you loved the chocolate souffle...

Our recipe! Happy 2013!
Yes, chocolate makes us happy too...

Servings: 4

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces semisweet chocolate
3/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 tablespoons cornstarch
2 eggs, plus
2 egg yolks

Directions:

1 Melt butter and chocolate together in a double boiler.
2 Combine sugar and cornstarch. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with yolks. Add chocolate mixture to sugar mixture; combine thoroughly. Add eggs and whisk just until smooth. Refrigerate overnight.
3 Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil. Spray molds* with oil and line with parchment. Spray parchment with oil. Scoop batter into molds so they are 2/3 full. If using small ramekins, cut a piece of parchment to fit the bottom, then spray the sides generously.
4 Bake on top rack of oven 20 minutes, or until sides are set but center is still undercooked. Remove from oven. Holding each mold with tongs or potholders, slip a metal spatula underneath and transfer to plate. Slip a butter knife between the parchment and the mold to loosen cake; slip off mold and peel off parchment. Serve immediately. Makes 4 3-inch cakes (if using 8-ounce tomato sauce cans you'll get 6).
5 *if you don't have bottomless round dessert molds, 8-ounce tomato sauce cans with the tops & bottoms removed work also.

Jeannie Lee @ Roy's Restaurants

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Excellent food and drinks. The Mai Tais are great, good wine selection. Nice selection of entrees as well as very good sushi. The chocolate souffle dessert was great but the pineapple dessert was even better. Have been here multiple times, always outstanding food, service and ambience.