“Delicious ethnic food!”

Dining options: Reservations
Florida
“Delicious ethnic food!”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We had such a delicious meal served by pleasant friendly staff in this place. It's a short walk from the Thorndale station, and although we travelled an hour to get there, the meal was well worth the trek. Everything we ordered was seasoned well. We had the Doro Wat (chicken cooked in a spicy sauce) and a vegetarian dish with lentils and okra, plus our favorite, the Kitfe Tere (steak tartare mixed with seasoned butter and a spicy blend of red pepper). We also shared a variety of side dishes, all good! The house mead is a light honey wine that goes well with the savory spicy dishes.

• Visited June 2014

• Polish first
Oak Park, Illinois
“Great way to get away from Chicago”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This resturant takes you to another world Great Etheopian food. Many vegetarian choices We had a sampler of vegetarian dishes and the lamb tubs grilled with a sause added at the last minute Execellent. All the vegetarioan dishes were outstanding The spinach and the spicy lentels stood out.

You can choose between a rgular table or or more traditional arrangement. Music was very good. An Etheopeon beer was the perfect accompaniment

• Visited April 2014
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

We were really excited to go to this restaurant with my wife. We already been to several Ethiopian restaurant in Europe and we love this food. Restaurant looked nice. The service was good. We ordered some beef and chicken dishes. When the food arrived, the waitress just drop the food on the main big plate. Not very nicely... food was ok but nothing good. In addition, we paid more than 3 USD to have some side dish vegetable which consisted in 2 or 3 table spoon... finally left paying 100 USD for 4 persons. To me... it was well too expensive for what we got! I would not advise this place. Ethiopian food is delicious. .. this restaurant is disappointing...

Indianola, Iowa
“My family really enjoyed the experience!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was my first time at an Ethiopian restaurant, and I enjoyed the experience and food. We started with 2 appetizers, and I would highly recommend the yellow beet salad. For the main meal, our group of 6 ordered 3 meat entrees and 1 vegetarian entrée, along with 5 sides. The food arrived on a giant tray lined with bread (which resembles a large sourdough pancake), and all the entrees and sides are poured onto the bread and eaten with additional slices of bread (no utensils or plates are offered, although you can request them). Some of the dishes were spicy, and all of it was very good.
We also ordered 3 desserts, but I was less satisfied with them. The molten lava cake and coconut creme brulee were very small and therefore pricey. The best of the desserts we tried was the banana fudge gelato.
The wait staff were very friendly, and we were seated immediately. This restaurant is sometimes billed as budget friendly, but I wouldn't especially call it that. Our tab, including gratuity was around $150 for the six of us, not including any alcoholic drinks.

• Visited March 2014
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Consistently good Ethiopian food”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We were there on a Sunday around 830, and they had live music that ended pretty early, around 9. The music was not of the Ethiopian persuasion so it was a bit odd atmospherically, but that's okay, it didn't last long.

Unlike other restaurants, this one has a veggie sampler platter but no meat sampler platter. A little disappointing, but if you get an entree that you really like, you get more of it, and aren't fighting with your friends for the tiny amount left in a sampler, so I guess it isn't necessarily a bad thing. I got the asa tibs (tilapia and veggies with ginger) and my boyfriend got the gored gored (brisket with shallots, butter, hot pepper paste). The misser wat and kik alicha (red lentils and split peas, respectively) rounded out the meal. He absolutely loved his brisket, and finally started coming around to Ethiopian food because of it! I liked my fish, though I wouldn't say it was anything special. It was mild, and I enjoyed it since I was pretending to be "healthy" after lunch at Pequod's but I should've gone for something heartier, in a dark spicy sauce. I wouldn't bother with the fish unless you're pescetarian. The sides were great, and I picked at a few more vegetarian sides when our vegan friends couldn't finish their sampler platter.

On a previous visit I remember loving the Misserana Bowmia (lentils and okra in berbere sauce), and the Doro Wat (chicken and egg in berbere sauce).

• Visited November 2013

Been to Ras Dashen? Share your experiences!